Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pit Peeve

At times mom would do well to follow her own advice of “How will you know you don’t like it unless you try it?” that she freely dispenses to her children.

As she lay back on the table at Lakme Beauty Salon and waited for the attendant to pour hot wax on her arm, mom wondered if she should expand the service to include her underarm region also.

In a departure from tradition, when she usually forgets to pack her toothbrush on a trip, mom had left her razor behind, and the weather in Chennai demanded that she occasionally air her armpits to catch the sea breeze.

After a quick round of mental math and deducing that a half-hour of pampering in India would cost her less than a bag of dog food back home, mom asked the attendant to do the honors.

The woman gathered the depilatory strips and smiled genially at mom.

“North Indian, madam?” she asked.

“Illai,” replied mom bemused. “South Indian daan.”

The woman proceeded to wax her arm rather vigorously, causing mom to wonder if she should modify her response to receive gentler handling.

“Oh, what happened here, madam?” the woman paused, holding up mom’s fleshy arm. “Why is it swollen?”

“Er … it’s not swollen, that’s how it is,” said mom, suddenly conscious of the dewlap jiggling under her arms.

The woman stretched mom’s left hand over her head. A discreet, cursory sniff of her armpit convinced mom to set trepidation aside and submit to the depilation.

Rrrrrrripppp! The first wave of agony almost knocked her senseless. Through a haze of pain she heard the attendant ask from very far away, “Has it been awhile, madam?”

“More like never,” gasped mom, smarting from the tears and bracing herself for the subsequent shock. Every excruciating rip thereafter made her childhood encounters with her maid, Chellamma, and the lice comb far more pleasurable.

“You’re wearing perfume no, madam?” the woman suddenly asked, pausing with the bread knife dripping with wax suspended in midair.

“You mean deodorant?” frowned mom.

“You should never wear perfume or lotion before waxing,” continued the woman. “See, that’s why the hair isn’t sticking to the strip,” she said, proceeding to rewax spots she had previously missed.

“Actually, I’m not wearing perfume. It’s deodorant,” explained mom weakly. “You see …”

“Same thing only,” said the woman cutting her off. “Next time, remember, no perfume.”

After what seemed like hours, the waxing session reached a merciful end. Barely able to lower her arms from the pain, mom struggled into her clothes and collected her purse and dupatta from the floor.

“What else, madam?” persisted the woman. “Facial? … Threading? … You don’t color your hair aa?”

Too weak to respond, mom merely nodded and made her way to the cash register, mindful of her delicate skin breaking into angry pustules that threatened to explode with a single cough.

The woman fired a salvo at the door.

“Are you Brahmin?” she wanted to know.

24 comments:

rads said...

bayangara samathu! :--D

The only wax I see at close quarters is the one from the ear. Folks have to bribe me a whole lot for me to let anyone do any kind of ripping.

Terri the terrific said...

rads, so you're the wrong person to go to for advice on a Brazilian then?

Anonymous said...

'After a quick round of mental math and deducing that a half-hour of pampering in India would cost her less than a bag of dog food back home, mom asked the attendant to do the honors.'

terri:

you might want to send out an rfp (request for proposals) for freedogfood.com (freerice made it to nbc nightly news last night, btw).

'“Are you Brahmin?” she wanted to know.'

karna-scorpion-parashurama. q.e.d., that question was a no-brainer.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

lol.. Are you Brahmin? nice climax... maybe some reservation quota...

Anonymous said...

Terri,
Why? Why would your Mom punish herself?

s.b, The Karna-parashurama angle was superb!

-Sachita

Anonymous said...

Lakme beauty salon - is this the one near Gemini Flyover? There used to be one a few years ago. I went there once (while i was on vacation from the US and had not had a facial done for a while) for a facial. Once the person started working, her first comment was "Enna moonji ivvalavu mosamaa iruku?". (What is this your face is in such a bad state?) haa! "That made me feel very good. Thank you!" I thought to myself. But i told her "athuku thaan facial panna vandhu iruken".(That is why i have come for a facial).
Then the person started poking my nose and cheeks with some sharp things. I said "what are you doing?". She said "cleaning your blackheads". I said "no thanks, it hurts too much". And then i opted out of bleach. She gave me a warning "bleach pannalaina mugam facial panna maathiri ye irukaathu, complain pannatheenga".(If you don't bleach, it is not going to look like you had a facial. Don't complain).
I just remained silent until i paid and got out as quickly as i could. After this experience, i still have not had the courage to step in to Lakme salon again. :-).

- Shree

Anonymous said...

wow you sure are adventurous.
For armpit why didn't mom just use a depillatory cream. It takes 15 minutes, may stink a little but now pain.

I cry every time I get my eyebrows done.(Threading is best as I've had skin pulled off with waxing, I even tipped the woman because I didn't realize my some skin had been peeled off till later on that evening!) Suffice to say Ammah was fuming.


Bleaching, hmm is that what people do to get their skin tone so even? I've always wondered about actresses and their arms. In one song they have normal tan lines on the arms and then in another song, completely even skin tone? Do they do it their entire arms and legs? Or is this a face thing only?


Sivajini

Jen Kumar said...

Eek!! I can't believe she went through that! If she can go through that, she can face anything!!!

Regarding Sivajini's comment- it's amazing, I am sitting in US I have not heard of getting skin pulled off before! Now I only want to do threading!!! (Or plucking on my own!)

A Muser said...

Hehehehe, newbie to armpit waxing, eh? Mom won't forget her razor ever again! I think waxing armpits is akin to preparing a young thing for the agony of labor.

Anonymous said...

I need to really catch my breath before I die just laughing.
Poor Mom.
You get disposable razors in potti kadais here, you know?

noon said...

Terri - my God - it was just HILARIOUS! Couple of more such posts - I will also finally send you off to India without complaining too much about the move!
I could just hear the "Same thing only" admonishing tone for deodorant! I have had such remarks made to me...esp when I went for a facial before my wedding..the array of facials that she read out like it was a menu list of idli vadai sambhar and suddenly asked me "So which one you want maam? Gold?"...Ahn, sorry could you repeat that again? Before I could understand she said something about pearl or some such top dollar facial "for wedding I think you should go for that maam...". And like the other commenter - she poked me and my face like crazy I was worried husband to be may actually run away to Kasi during the kasi yatra ceremony - the way she complained about my skin and poked me as she went along!

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom,

you write in such beautiful and humorous language that it makes me read again and again.

The last two sentences are a fitting finale to this great post.

If you think about it, it is really funny that she asked you. What would be her intent? What statistics was she adding to on her pit rippees? :-).

Your salon/massage experiences come out as great posts. Is Your humor is heightened by pain?

- Shree

Anonymous said...

LOL! It would have been easier to buy a razor than to undergo the pain of first time armpit waxing.
I am surprised they didn't give her a sermon on not using the razor.
I had a very similar experience in a Lakme parlor in Mumbai once. After seeing the state of my skin the woman went on to suggest that i bleach my entire body!!
Thinking of beauty parlors in Chennai though, i remember going in once for eyebrow threading and the woman's fingers smelt of sambar! I guess i shouldn't have gone at lunchtime.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., free dog food is a wonderful idea! I wish I knew how to make it work.

vijay, maybe it involved a discount. Should've looked into it before running out.

sachita, you think Karna is dedicated? See the lengths some people go to keep their readers entertained.

Shree, your encounter is far more hilarious. One more reason to move back - people dispense with political correctness and just say whatever's on their mind. I have no idea why she asked the question. Do Brahmins have different hair growth patterns?

Sivajini, I’m so glad I don’t have to be waxed and threaded and bleached to earn a living.

Jennifer, I’ve had my skin pulled off even with threading. Didn’t realize it until I felt the sting when I washed my face the next day.

Muser, after this experience I cannot even imagine waxing other delicate parts of the anatomy. It’s a good thing I don’t swim or see the need to get a tan.

Lakshmi, you mean I don’t have to bring a lifetime supply of pink razors?

Noon, after spending all that time and money on bridal pampering, did one realize that the face is the last thing a new husband focuses on in the privacy of the bedroom?

Global, I hope her breath smelled better.

A Muser said...

I swim, and believe me, bikini waxing ranks up there in the pain scale. Every time I get it done, I ask myself, "Why? Why?"

Anonymous said...

Re:Jennifer
I'm actually from Toronto.
I don't know if you guys down south have the franchise called Trade Secrets. I have found out that it not only happened to me but another friend as well, her's was much worse. I think it's because when you are a newbie, your so focused on the inflamation on your skin- you can't tell the difference, so they end up waxing some skin on your eyebrow and you are still like eek pain.

Regardless of how tedious threading is- at least no skin get's ripped.

The things we do!
Sivajini

dipali said...

Whew! I was screwing up my courage to get underarms waxed, but I think I'll stick to the depilatory cream or a razor:)
The only reason I go to any damn parlour is to get a haircut.

I think I'm happy with my middle aged scruffiness. Lakme can get its business from someone less cowardly than me!

Anonymous said...

Easy for you to scoff, Terri, ol' pal but as us women know, the only thing worse than waxing is childbirth!

And the women who inhabit these salons seem to be sadists of a superior variety. They press the flesh of my underarms (OW!) so much that it is a toss up between the pain of THAT vs the agony of the waxing procedure re scoring higher on the pain scale. Which is why, these days, I stick to good ol' Nair's hair removing cream. You shld recommend it to mom.

Munimma said...

Atleast we can get epidurals for labor! Alternatives - sneak into hubby's kit, buy it (you get almost everything in the stores), anne french (the painless). pit waxing is a form of sado-masochism ;-)

Squiggles Mom said...

If it makes you feel any better, it gets easier with practice :)

Terri the terrific said...

Ladies, ladies, did I just open a Pandora's Box with this post? Why do humans have hair on the armpits anyway?

Anonymous said...

You know we can open another Pandora's Box altogether by discussing those caste/place origin questions...

-Sachita

anantha said...

Thankfully, I don't have to go either of the two activities that have been widely acknowledged as being the most painful. Aaah, the joys of being a guy who lacks the muscles to go sleeveles :D

And ya, I have never figured out the point of waxing. Science and chemistry have grown so much that the use of creams are not as widespread.

Anonymous said...

anantha:

do you really think you need muscles for that? (*there, i think i've gone and set amrita off again now!* ;-)

terri's mom and other ladies:

what say, ladies, does salman 'shirtless' khan have competition coming his way (from sonu) or what?!

- s.b.