Friday, May 30, 2008

My belly looks like a Brahmin's

Short of organizing a thread ceremony for me, I think my initiation into the Brahmin way of life is now complete.

I haven’t even caught a whiff of meat since I landed here. I’m surrounded by plant-eaters who would lynch any building resident who dare warm a kheema samosa in the microwave.

With so much variety in my diet – idlis dipped in yoghurt, rice and dal and steamed vegetables, daliya, boiled eggs rolled in rotis – I’m not complaining. I should’ve gone on hunger strike years ago and refused to eat the Purina garbage mom was feeding me.

The woman is now worried after global mentioned that mangoes are seasonal visitors like overseas desis who spend summer vacations in thatha-paati’s house. She scans the horizon looking for rain clouds and justifies her mango excess by saying, “This too shall pass.”

In a city bereft of sidewalks, mom and I have no place to walk off extra calories. Every time I step out of the house, the neighborhood dogs insist on broadcasting my presence to all and sundry, leaving me no privacy to pee in peace.

“You have to carry a stick to scare the strays off,” advised somebody.

Hmmm, maybe the same approach would work on some of the stray men who stand on street corners and outside homes and stare at mom until we pass by.

10 comments:

anantha said...

boiled eggs rolled in rotis

Ayyo.. Shiva Shiva!

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, that's my single consolation in this Brahmin household. Don't let the moral police take that away also.

Anonymous said...

Oh Terr, it reminds me of my days in India! I miss Mangoes and Jackfruit and Chaat and Roasted corn and Gobi manchurian and Temple prasaadam etc etc :) have fun! - Vijaya

Anonymous said...

Relieved that you and the family are settled down and all went well in the relocation. And am glad that you are eating yummy home cooked chennai style food. My dog Lisa in chennai (long time ago) used to eat "paal sadam" with boiled potatoes mashed in every day! she was a german shepherd (alsation for you chennaites!) ... Try it, cold milk and mashed potatoes and rice - you might just like it in the blistering summer months!
You make me nostalgic for good old chennai.
ash

Anonymous said...

Heart breaking-terri's ordeal without water. Is he ok now? And have youfound a nice place to stay?

Anonymous said...

anantha:

i echo you!

terri:

i look forward to your grooving some more. specifically, i am waiting for your analysis of the correlation of desi pda with bidesi bda.

is dad's public behavior around mom (aka pda) more suited to the ambience now than it was in the usa? a one-line response to this is insufficient. i demand a fully researched post on this topic. enquiring "indian summer nris" wanna know!

our raja was pukka vegetarian too - and had a nice long life (136 human years) too. he relished sapati and puri, milk, and thaayir saadam.

and yeah, have you been blinded in mom's prsence by the radiance of that dazzling jewel - the thaali. i bet mom would not trust the shippers with it, insurance or not!

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., the noose is where it's supposed to be, around mom's neck. And it didn't set off any alarm bells as she walked through security check at the airports.
Sorry, I have no wisdom to offer Indian summer NRIs. You see, PDA and dad don't go hand in hand.

mg, Terri is fine. And we're desperately looking for a place to rent.

ash, I tell you, even dog food prepared by grandma tastes better.

vijaya, I doubt I'll be fed gobi manchurian or chaat. But I caught a whiff of masala vadais being fried by the roadside this morning, and it sure smelled good.

dipali said...

Terri, what a wonderful boy you are. I'm sure mom and dad are really proud of the way you've adjusted.
I hope mom learns to ignore all the attentive males!

Anonymous said...

Terri...aint you supposed to scare away all those roadside romeos? :D

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, my human bozos cannot understand even if I complain.

mayo, I was born a pet, not a guard dog. I'm only useful for lowering mom's blood pressure.