If mom thought twisting herself into a pretzel for 20 hours was uncomfortable, she should’ve spent the time with me in the cargo hold of an airplane without any drinking water for the last leg of the journey from Frankfurt to Chennai.
Lufthansa staff reassured mom that her dog was on board, but nobody bothered to check if the dog was hydrated enough for the journey. When mom stuck her fingers through my cage at the Chennai airport, I managed to weakly lick her, not wanting to believe that my ordeal had finally ended.
“He’s alive!” cried mom, pulling out a rock-hard bread roll she had saved from lunch. I gulped it down, along with a liter of sparkling water, and finally stopped trembling, happy to be on terra firma.
Grandpa had arranged for me to be cleared by Chennai Customs, and a nice man from grandpa’s old workplace arrived at the airport at midnight to make sure I breezed through the exit with no paperwork.
“Madam, you should have faxed me all the papers a few days ago,” said the man to mom. “The airport vet is supposed to be on duty, but he’s usually not here at night. They won’t release the dog without clearance from him. I’ll go to his clinic tomorrow to get his signature.”
“You mean the vet will sign the documents without even seeing the dog?” asked mom.
She now knows who not to pick for my veterinary care.
For all of her sweet talk about preparing me for life in Chennai, mom somehow neglected to mention the sweltering heat and the humidity that hits you when you step out of the airplane.
“It’s hot!” is an understatement in a city where you can sweat buckets doing nothing more stressful that batting your eyelids. If one could lose weight just through sweat, my human would be in paradise.
You know, mom, before you reach for another succulent mango or a spoonful of ghee-dripping halwa, I think you should go easy on the food. Remember, there is a tomorrow since you’re not going back anytime soon.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Relieving oneself on a tulsi plant is frowned upon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Terri, am glad you, mom and the rest of the family made it home safely. Look forward to chatting with you guys one of these days:)
ooo, I was just thinking of writing to you and thought I'd give you a couple of days to chill. *no pun intended :)
Grandpa worked at the vicinity of airport?! :O *gasp, we just may be related after all!
welcome home
Ha! Welcome to namma ooru! Oh but I live in Zurich. Sob sob! There should be a ban on writing about Mangoes. Show pity on us poor preggies!
And really? On a tulsi plant? Chee chee chee! These Amreeka returns, I say! ;)
Glad to know you have landed safely, was kind of concerned after reading the previous post.
Even tulsi plant needs it nutrients, so no worries there.
-Sachita
Oh you poor boy, Terri. If its any consolation, even I find those endless transatlantic flights a major pain. (A sea cruise seems much nicer).
Chennai can't get any hotter than it is now, so it'll only get better.
Vanakkam, Terri and family. Happy settling down.
dipali, transatlantic flights do seem like they never end. I've never been on a cruise before. No time like the present, I say.
sachita, you should've seen how well our mint patch did in our old home thanks to regular fertilization by me.
boo, I tell you, those mangoes can make one forget about the weather for a moment.
vijay, thanks.
rads, grandpa didn't work in this city. One of the branches of his old workplace is located here.
sands, after my experience, I'd say Zoey is better off in a local kennel. Don't bring her here unless you're moving. I can't imagine repeating the journey.
hey terri...stumbled upon your blog 3 days ago and i am floored. :D dug thru the archives and was rofl on most of your antics! :D
aww i miss madras...hope all of you out there are having fun! :)
Isn't it kattiri veyyil right now? Damn, that's one hell of an intro to a city. At least things can only get better. Monsoons! Mud! Cool!
Welcome!!
THis is one of those posts where i am made to forget that it is a human who wrote the post. It feels like Terri penned/typed it himself!! Glad that you have arrived fine.
- Shree
Remember, there is a tomorrow since you’re not going back anytime soon.
Amen.
And Terri, I am really looking forward to meeting you. Just go easy on me though, remember I have NEVER been around dogs after I was seven years old when an old Pomeranian chased me down an alley.
lakshmi, I don't do half-hearted welcomes. You're going to be licked and jumped at, with tail wagging furiously, so you might want to bring sanitizer to douse yourself in.
Shree, a dog wrote all the posts. Dog promise!
Amrita, is it possible to be cool here? Would I need a monkey cap like dipali said?
mayo, thank you. Glad to keep you entertained. Do you really like mayonnaise that much?
Lucky that you got only a frowning look! You will find out many more similar ones soon (and we too - through your blog!)...
Terri and family. Happy settling down
lol@mayonnaise. but nope, actually i hate it. mayo = may. moi mayborn. and nah, no spanish- tambrahm connection there! :D
yay! you guys have landed in chennai! and tell mom to eat the mangoes quickly. they can indeed disappear once the rain starts, and then sadly there will be none for tomorrow.
Poor Ter! But you're home now! How's the food?
terri:
oh, puh-lease! no more stories of mangos, succulent or not. please get back to your usp (looks like you are back in your groove with your newer post!).
- s.b.
p.s.: good to know that the entire family is in one piece... i mean, five pieces!
Terriii.....
Welcome to India and Chennai. Loking forward to meeting you. If you happen to be around near Coimbatore - you should drop in.
(:>P
-PP
Post a Comment