Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mud mud ke na dekh

Given the way houses are constructed in India, there are enough cracks along the walls and under doorways for curious fauna of all sizes to drop in on an unsuspecting mom and say hello.

Spiders clamber along our kitchen walls; lizards, the size of alligators, mock my humans from crannies; and armies of ants march methodically along grout lines, lured by the smell of rasam powder and idli crumbs.

Eeeek!” screams Kuki, every time she spots an ant as large as the tip of my nose.

“Don’t worry, they don’t do anything,” say the humans, flicking them away like carrom discs.

“Get away! Shoo!” she yells at flies, as though they’re obedient dogs who listen to their masters.

Aaaaaargh!” shrieks mom, when she spies a scurrying lizard in her kitchen. She runs out ashen-faced, seriously wondering about her mental framework that willingly traded a safe cocoon for a reptilian paradise.

“You moved here knowing fully well there are lizards,” says dad, sweeping out a portly specimen that finds its way back into the house in 30 minutes. “You need to get used to them.”

If the offending creatures were furry with soulful eyes, mom would’ve been the first person to coo at them, much like an Indian film heroine cuddles white kabootars while breaking into a song.

The law of attraction ensures that mom’s day begins and ends with a few of these pesky pests. From the moment she awakens and spots a baby gecko smaller than her pinkie on the window, to the gnarly lizard couple by the front door, as fierce-looking as temple yaalis, mom’s days and nights are filled with visions of these vile creatures. So much so that even black mustard seeds clinging to a diced potato or a curly cabbage in her favorite curry are starting to resemble the beady eyes of a creepy crawly.

“Ho, ho!” laughed the uncle next door when mom jumped out of her skin and pointed to a chocolate brown lizard slithering along his wall. “Wonly people from the You-yes are afraid of lizards. They are like our pets now.”

Indeed, the children have christened the regulars they see more often than the neighborhood kids. There’s “Cubby” who lives in a cupboard in the kids’ room; “Wally” who lives on the front wall; and, “Mr. and Mrs. Lizard” who live on separate patio lights and make nocturnal conjugal visits to each other.

“Did you know lizards bring subhiksham to a house?” mom was informed. “You can’t kill them because they’re Brahmins. They are supposed to bring prosperity.”

You hear that, dad? Rest easy now. You don’t have to look for a job anymore.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wife lives in constant fear of these creatures. I have a Phd in driving Lizards out without touching them or killing them.. I use my Golf clubs...

Terri the terrific said...

vijay, when can you drop in?

Anonymous said...

Hey T's mama,
Didn't you teach Terri to maul lizards and creepie crawlies yet or is he too soft to do that being You Yes born? Me thinks terri needs to join a pucca desi mongrel street gang and learn such tactics so vital for his humans' survival:-)Bound to also come in handy when scores of admiring males follow mom.

Mystic Margarita said...

Lol! Second what deepa said! On a more non-violent mode, I found spraying unsuspecting lizards with deo sprays or particularly strong perfumes makes them scurry out of the first available window/door. They don't kill the critters or seem to cause any harm, coz they used to be back like nothing's happened the following day.(Methinks disinfectant sprays might work better?)Neway, hope mom vanquishes the lizzies and lives happily, sans nightmares, ever after! :)

Terri the terrific said...

deepa, unfortunately Terri respects God's creatures and leaves them alone, even when they're crawling in front of his nose. Maybe we're feeding him too much.

mystic, the jhaadu works for now. One would have to get a little too up, close and personal to spray those darn things. I'm not sure mom will ever get over her fear of lizards. The phobia goes back a few decades.

Anonymous said...

well, if lizards are my way out of a job then i better run to Florida, capture a few and let them loose in my house!

Terri the terrific said...

chakli, if they weren't so disgusting, I'd mail them to you for free.

Folks, is it true that they have lizards in Florida inside the house?

Mystic Margarita said...

Terri's mom and Chakli, I was ecstatic to see lizards in Florida when we moved here some months back. Ecstatic - not in wanting to embrace them, of course, but because it was the first time I ever saw them in the US. Though I have spotted one lizard/gecko in the balcony once, thankfully there's none in the house. I'd have jimped off said balcony even before I could grab a deo spray otherwise! :)

Anonymous said...

mystic:

i hope you only use those sprays that have previously been tested successfully (or unsuccessfully, depending on your point of view) on animals (per peta).

terri/mystic:

all you need to have a lizard (aka prsperity) in your fl house is to keep your front door open for the optimal time, much like you would the aperture of a camera:

- leave it open shorter than necessary, and lakshmi (i mean the gecko variety) will be unable to enter;
- leave it open longer than optimal (and unattended), and lizard and prosperity (household goods) might leave the house!

vijay:

golf clubs, eh? is it that effective? i need to join your ... umm ... club! there is only so much prosperity one can handle!! soon, i've the feeling that the native (american indian or indian american, as the case may be) roaches will start demanding 50% reservations against all the brahmins in the house.

terri:

i'd heard of the pony express and snailmail, but it appears that mom's threatening to go postal with those geckos. ask dad to buck up and get a job, and forget about ancillary means of achieving prosperity.

on secod thoughts, maybe you guys can keep two lizards - one for the stock market and one for the housing market. my vote is for mr. and mrs. lizard, they appear the ones blessed with holy matri-money.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

@terri: Havent dealt with Chennai lizards... I heard that they are like the auto drivers there :-) I have a set of older clubs that I can lend dad...

@sb: You always discover new uses for things... by the way I thought the lizards were already in the OBC category.. if they are not they should be !!

Anonymous said...

Disinfect the house by calling Godrej pest removal people. That would keep any creatures out for at least a year. I say this from my experience in chennai.

Terri the terrific said...

vijay, right now, looking at the boxes we haven't unpacked from floor to ceiling, I'll pay you to not add more stuff to this household.

s.b., you have roaches also in FL?!!! You're actually making Chennai sound better.

mystic, I think I'll stay away from Florida. The closest I came to Indian conditions in the U.S. was in New Orleans where I found a roach in the hotel room.

You hear, dad? If we ever return, Fl. and La. are off the map.

dipali said...

Poor Mom, Terri- my profound sympathies. Not that I particularly mind lizards- the ones I can't stand are cockroaches. I need to call pest control asap!

Terri the terrific said...

anon, you could've at least left a name so I can thank you. You mean the lizards won't come in through the various gaps in the house?

dipali, I have only one phobia, and roaches aren't it.

Anonymous said...

Lizards are Brahmins! I died laughing...anyway they eat all the other bugs, they're good!

Terri the terrific said...

Cold comfort, mg. Mom wishes she were afraid of dogs instead. At least she wouldn't have to deal with them at home.

Anonymous said...

I am SURE mom doesn't wish that-a life scared of dogs?! What an empty life a dogless life would be..

noon said...

OMG Ter - I feel for mom. That's me she has written about! I grew up with lizards casually running up walls and sometimes plopping on the floor while I study sitting on the floor with a little stool on which I laid my books...and now when I go back to India I totally act like You-Yes folks - just can't stand those lizards and jump out in fear! When we went in 06, my MIL would casually get up and bring a "thodappam" and slowly direct the lizard out of the kitchen...I would have been shaking if I had to do that!
Man, how does mom cope with this? Do you think she will get used to it?

Terri the terrific said...

noon, mom is waiting to run back to the You-yes because of this drawback alone. She's terrified of being at home; it's not a sanctuary anymore.

mg, if not dogs, mom wishes she were afraid of cats.

Anonymous said...

Lizards are brahmins? really? good grief!

Anonymous said...

Ask mom to adopt a kitten....100 %guaranteed the lizards will be gone ..

Anonymous said...

Terri, maybe I can lend my father - he catches lizards using a transparent plastic mug (without dismantling their tail - have you noticed that at the slightest trauma, the tail of a lizard falls off and flops about - pretty disgusting).

Also, next time mom comes IIT side, she should watch her step. Our little pets run about the floor - it is their house too, you know.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, I won't even ask what your father does with the lizards he traps. Next time I come to your place, can we just watch the deer instead? They're infinitely cuter.

Who are these anons with helpful suggestions? I should ask the cat lady next door if her house is lizard-free. I thought cats like to leave little gifts for their owners to clean up.

desigirl, see? There's something new to learn everyday.

A Muser said...

Hehehehe, Ter! It's so funny -- just the other day, I jumped out of my skin because Raina screamed. Why, you may ask. Because she saw a fly. One measly piddly fly on our window. Made me wonder then that subsequent trips to India are going to be rather, um, adventurous for her. :))

A Muser said...

Oh, and Pikey The Cat brings us geckos as gifts from our back yard. Mom's lucky Terri's a dog...

Anonymous said...

I used to be terrified of lizards when I was in india. I refused to enter in to the kitchen/bathroom if there was a lizard. when ever I returned from office in th evening I used to look around for any lizards in the visible range and then call the apartment watch man to remove it from the apt. In the morning I used to pester my maid / driver to do the job. some times these people were so harrassed by me that they started to demand money to do the job !!!

my maid also used to pour phenoyl ( the kind used to disinfect toilets) to make those creatures immobile and then throw them out of the window.

I did some more things to tackle the lizards.. but I am getting getting quite embarrassed to post those silly things I did to avoid them. if interested I can mail them.

Anonymous said...

Hey tell Terri there aren't any canine good citizen awards handed out in India so she can go get 'em:-)

Terri the terrific said...

deepa, Terri's bark is worse than his bite. Except for catching a fly that bothers him when he's snoozing, he leaves all other creatures alone. I really think we're feeding him too much.

anon, you sound exactly like mom. Really, she also deserves to live abroad.

muser, nothing like bringing Raisin to India to toughen her up. Some of the flies here are the size of bees. Who has the happy job of throwing Pikey's gifts out? You or the husband? I'm starting to train my 10-year-old to throw lizards out since husband won't do it.

AR said...

They're brahmins? Really? Damn, they must have been some naughty brahmins then if they're living off flies and dropping their tails.

Also, uncle next door is a total liar trying to act all cool in front of the hot Amreekan returned chick before he runs screaming from the brahmin lizard like Hanuman put his tail on fire.

However, I could never kill a lizard like I would a spider or similar critter because a lizard is kind of bigger and juicier. BLECH. lizard juice on the floor = DO NOT WANT.

Terri the terrific said...

ams, you make it sound so appetizing to a lizard eater. BTW, you can kill them?!! I thought they regenerate body parts and live forever. Double BLECH!! Can someone send me a one-way ticket out of here?

Anonymous said...

Terri:

I thought your mom wanted some adventure!! :-). This is Discovery channel/Animal Planet adventure if she could do a documentary - "Life of the Indian House Lizard"!!

To really see your point, i agree that lizards are not to be looked at too close or more than split second longer unless you want some kind of weird feeling!! That said, i am not afraid of them and ofcourse have never killed any (refer to amrita and terri's mom's interesting descriptions of the possible consequences). They run away at the site of humans and i don't show interest in following them.

Hope you have not rented out your house yet in the You-yes!

- Shree

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,

I really like the way your mom putting things together. It makes the reading quite enjoyable.
If you are not able to avail the service of Godrej pest control, then Amruthanjan also has a service for the same. In the latter case, they claim it is safer because they make use of naural repellents and not chemical sprays. Their ad comes out in Hindu downtown/Metroplus.

- A stay at home Mom

Terri the terrific said...

Shree, house is You-yes is still waiting for renters. Now that you mention it, I wonder if I'm not reading the writing on the wall.

stayathomemom, thank you. Do lizards have natural repellents other than kittens? The Godrej Web site makes no mention of lizard removal; should check the other one.