It’s funny that the first question Lakshmi asked when she met mom was the same one dad had posed as he wheeled his suitcases into the house after a month-long trip.
Much to mom's chagrin, neither of them gripped her hand, looked deep into her eyes and asked, “So, tell me, how are you really doing?” (Such a gesture would have caused the floodgates to open, resulting in both parties wiping mom’s snot off their wet shoulders while deeply regretting the question.)
Instead, they enquired about more pressing issues. Both wanted to know if mom still had the same maid.
Sigh! Unfortunately, the status on that is still quo. But the woman did chase a lizard out today, for which mom is willing to overlook the urine stains on a “I-swear-I-just-cleaned-it” toilet bowl.
As though her cup of frustration were not running over, mom recklessly invited a cook into the household a few days after she hired Rani. (To spare Lakshmi’s gentle heart, we cannot disclose her salary.)
“Don’t worry, madam,” the woman had assured her. “So what if I’ve never made North Indian food before? How difficult can it be?”
Very, apparently, as two months down the road, mom’s the one standing over a hot stove sprinkling masala over the sabjis, while the woman mutely watches and wonders why this family cannot be content with rasam and rice every day like her other clients.
“No, no!” shrieks mom, entering the kitchen a tad too late. “Mustard seeds and curry leaves don't go with rajma!"
"But, vaasanai ..." argues the cook, shocked at mom's blatant disregard for time-honored South Indian tadka.
"Isn't the moru kozhambu a little watery?" asked mom one day, watching the sweat drip from the tip of the woman's nose onto the boiling pot in front of her.
"This is how Iyers make it," said the maami with an air of authority, wiping her face with the kitchen towel mom had just used to wipe her hands.
"Well, can you make it the Iyengar way instead?" suggested mom gently, watching in horror as the woman proceeded to wipe the spoons with the same cloth she used to wipe her face.
Maami thought it best not to dignify the question with a response as she swiftly wiped the kitchen countertops with the same towel and started rolling out rotis.
Watching the woman operate, mom is tempted to post "Wash hands before returning to work!" signs around the kitchen similar to the ones posted in staff restrooms. She could even add a few of her own:
- Conserve water!
- Cover food to keep flies away!
- Do not use kitchen towel to wipe your face!
- Wash vegetables that fall on the floor!
- Tell me again how you can mess up curd rice!
This past week, mom has been making the rounds calling home service agencies in search of a replacement cook and a new maid.
“Make sure your cook is a Brahmin,” well-meaning aunties advise her. "Whatever you say, only Brahmins are clean pa!"
Is that right? You mean to say that the Iyer maami coughing and sneezing in our kitchen without covering her mouth might be an aberration?

18 comments:
Out of the frying pan. Or into the frying pan with this peculiar cook. Bah. And profound sympathies.
Leave her in the kitchen with a grandma to train her?
terri:
'iyer' the grandmas and/or anyone that says 'iyer is higher*!'
- s.b.
p.s.: phrase shamelessly pilfered from alpha's blog. please don't sue me for plagiarism; my disclosure is better than any on wall street.
s.b., anybody saying iyer is higher will be invoking my ire.
mg, grandmas gave up saying you can only lead a horse to water.
dipali, thank you :(
Service agencies? I am sure i can expect a funny post on this experience!! I feel the posts are not coming at the rate of the experiences you are having with the relocation! :-).
- Shree
Shree, the lethargy bug has bitten me. I'm not sure when I'll recover.
According to Iyengars, the hierarchy is:
"I", "Iyer", "Iyengar:...
Dont blame me.. I am only half an Iyengari...
..or was it "High", "Hiyer", Hiyengar"???
Goodness Terri, I never knew mom was going through such trauma. I can understand why she has lost so much weight. Every time she wants a dash of morkozambu, I am sure she remembers the drop of toil and swears it off.
I hope the cook has been sacked. Mom is better off making rajma herself. At least she would know what went into it.
BTW, Terri, I have been thinking so much about you since we met. First time I actually touched a dog ever since a small Pomeranian fellow chased me when I was four.
lakshmi, barring a visit from the postman, that was the shortest anybody's ever stopped over at our place. And to think you took so much trouble to get here. Because of your early departure, the rest of us didn't get the bondas mom had planned for the afternoon.
vijay, I wouldn't know about higher-archy. I was plucked from the streets.
Bondas? Made by your cook maami? I am sure we were all better off without, what says Terri?
Wow Terri - your tales of sweaty more kozhmabu and lizards that drop on your head - I should not read these just before going to bed! Looks like I would need to get a degree in human resource management to manage just the cook and the maid if I wanted to live in India and have a lot of "help"!
lakshmi, how do you think I fell sick? ;) OK, next time, mom will make bondas apne haathon se.
noon, no "help" just "hell".
Terri, I'm planning to pen a 4-volume book called Cook Maami Chronicles -- on four different maamis who took turns to spice up my life. Would mom like to co-author?;)
imbavalli:
you have an idea there. by extension/extrapolation, i foresee a music band 'spice maamis' starring victoria beckham yada yada yada; lyrics by terri, of course!
- s.b.
Terri
Wiping face with kitchen towel takes the cake!!
I remember something about messing up curd rice. I had invited someone and asked my cook to make curd rice after almost readying all the ingredients. She had to season it with mustard. When the curd rice came to the table it looked a dull brown color instead of the normal white with specks of black. I was quite embarassed by its presentation in front of guests although they did not make a big deal of it. I figure the cook either browned the oil (did not smell like that) or used too much asafoetida in her enthusiasm. Either case, i learnt that there are ways to mess up curd rice! What is your story? :-).
Hope you found somebody to suit your requirements. Do agencies specifically provide Brahmin cooks? Just curious. Quite possible in Chennai.
- Shree
Shree, in my case, we ended up with paal rice on the table in front of company.
inbavalli, will be happy to edit instead and provide inputs if you're interested.
Steal your mom/MIL's cook! There are no rules in the maid war.
Post a Comment