Friday, October 24, 2008

Oh, Shit!

Yoga master to mom: “See how you’re struggling with the butterfly pose? Keep your back straight and press your knees to the ground.”

Mom: “But I can’t!”

Master: “You know why?”

Mom: “Because my body is stiff? Because I’ve never done yoga before?”

Master in front of whole class: “No. I can easily tell that you’re using a Western-style toilet.”

Wow! I wonder what else he can tell based on the way mom opens her hips.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

such profound analysis by the yoga master, no?

Mom seems more british and the master more country, so there.

-Sachita
PS: on the other hand, the western toilets aid people in thinking leading to newton gravity discoveries while indian styles are only for yogic postures, all the time would go in balancing act.

Anonymous said...

ha!!!, how about astrology, do you think he can let out some of that??? Srikanth

Anonymous said...

srikanth:

"how about astrology, do you think he can let out some of that???"

that would (literally) come from under the hotairasana.

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

sachita, one more - Western-style toilets are also conducive to reading and improving one's mind. Indian style can make you an expert at holding your breath for a while.

Srikanth, you talking kundalini stuff? I'm afraid to even go there.

s.b., I take it you're familiar with pawan mukth postures?

Anonymous said...

Keep "butterflying" Terri's mom becoz in time this kriya will do wonders for your Indian toilet skills and er....other more important poses. I swear! God promise:-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the yoga master. Ever since I abandoned the Indian squat in favour of the Western pose, my thighs refuse to cooperate even for the Padmasana, leave alone pawan mukthasanas and other twists and turns around the midsection. Now I am caught in a limbo- should I abandon the convenience of the toilet library for my yoga or the reverse?

Anonymous said...

Have realised that Indian systems such as Ayurveda, yoga, etc are obsessed with bowel movements and er, topics surrounding them. With good reason, but one has to get used to talking about them.

Terri the terrific said...

mg, the Ayurveda spa at the Pondi resort had a bunch of treatments that involved bowel and intenstine cleansings, procedures that involved introducing a special oil through the rectum. The full chest massage for ladies sounded more interesting.

lakshmi, yoga master says as long as you sit on the floor and eat meals Indian style, all is not lost.

deepa, I don't mind butterflying as much as using an Indian toilet. I was always afraid of slipping and getting one foot caught in the hole.

dipali said...

That was one astute teacher!

Anonymous said...

terri/lakshmi:

this can classify me as a yoga retard, but i had never ever heard of the pawan muktasana before. that said, my vision of the position was (obviously) somewhat different from this.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

"I was always afraid of slipping and getting one foot caught in the hole"

You forgot "before flushing"

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, after flushing is equally bad because you can see the glistening waste winking at you.

s.b., see, this blog improves general knowledge. It should be made required reading for certain members of my family.

dipali, master knows what's in demand during the festive season.