Monday, October 13, 2008

Pee aur jee

Now that the entire waiting room of patients and their relatives at The Apollo Clinic on a certain evening know about mom’s UTI, it stands to reason that you should be similarly apprised of the situation.

“No need for appointment, ma’am. You can walk in,” said the receptionist over the phone.

Mom was suitably impressed. “No appointment?” she thought, thinking back to her other life where it was usually next to impossible to see a doctor the same day. “So, you think you might be pregnant? Let’s see now, Dr. Very-Busy has no openings until spring. Would you like to call back?”

Mom was equally thrilled when the receptionist didn’t ask her the nature of the problem. “Doctor-patient confidentiality,” she presumed, comparing it to schedulers in more developed countries. “You say you’re passing white stools? Hmmm, that’s odd. Too much white chocolate, hon’?”

“Maybe that’s why desis speak highly of medical care in India,” thought mom, as she walked into the clinic. As she waited her turn, mom filled out a registration form, frowning when she came to the religion question. “None of your business,” she wanted to write, leaving the spot blank. For some reason, the practice wasn’t concerned as much about her blood group as it was about her religion.

When her turn arrived, mom was surprised to see that there was no nurse escorting patients inside. The doctor sat in a consulting room, while a woman with orange flowers in her hair and tinkling bells on her feet entered and exited the room at will, which would have unnerved mom had she been lying naked on the examination table with her feet resting on stirrups.

As the kindly doctor examined her fully clothed form and asked the relevant questions, mom tried not to leap up from the examination table, where she found remnants of the last patient’s hair entwined in dry jasmine flowers. Obviously the grey cotton sheet that covered the table was changed as often as the slipcover on her sofa back home.

“You can collect the urine sample container from the receptionist now and drop off a sample tomorrow,” said the doctor, writing a prescription. “The lab’s closed for the day.”

“You’re giving me a prescription even before my results come in?” asked mom, wondering what the logic was.

“Yes,” said the doctor simply. “We’ll adjust the medication based on the results.”

Mom thought it best not to pursue the matter on a full bladder and walked toward the front desk.

“OK, madam,” the male receptionist was nodding into the telephone. “One urine sample container aa? No problem.”

Turning to an orderly at the far end of the room, he called out, “Thambi, get one urine sample container for madam!” just as mom reached the reception to pay.

“What?”

“Urine sample box ya!” he repeated, raising his voice in case anybody in the waiting room hadn’t heard. “Hurry up! Madam is waiting.”

Pretending to be very busy examining her sandals, mom thought back to a similar scene that had played out at home an hour ago.

“Amma, we’ll be right back. We have some work,” she had said, trying to usher dad quickly out the door.

“But it’s already dark,” her mother-in-law had said, an unasked question hanging in the air.

“Er … yes. We’ll be right back.”

“It can’t wait until tomorrow?”

Not wishing to appear rude, mom had to admit that she was going to the clinic nearby.

“Oh my god, what happened?”

“Nothing. It’s just a UTI.”

“Oh, OK,” said grandma, along with her sister who was within earshot. “Drink lots of water and go see Dr. Very-Nice who is our family doctor.”

As they turned to leave, father-in-law wanted to know where they were going.

“Clinic aa? Why?”

Leaving grandma to explain, the humans bumped into dad’s uncle and his wife, making their way up the stairs for a visit.

“They’re in a hurry,” called out grandma. “They need to go the doctor.”

“Why? Everything OK?”

"Aaaaargh! Can this get any worse?" thought mom, running out the front gate.

When the cursed container finally made its way to the reception, mom walked over to the pharmacy. As one of the three men present filled her prescription, she noted that none of the medication came with directions other than the doctor’s illegible scrawl.

“When do I take this?” she asked, holding out a bottle.

“You have burning sensation when you urinate?” asked the pharmacist.

Mom nodded, suddenly aware of the other customers in the store.

“Take this twice a day for three days. You must be itching also," continued the man. "Take this antibiotic twice a day for three days. Any more questions?”

Mom collected her things and left the building, glad of the darkness outside as she made her way toward dad, who preferred to wait in the humidity with his hands in his pockets.

“What took you so long?” he asked.

“Madam, madam, one minute!” an urgent voice called out behind her as they started walking home.

Mom turned to see the security guard running toward her.

Handing her a packet he said, "You forgot your urine sample container.”

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the unashamed attitude!

Anonymous said...

Terri, your mom should get an award for the ordeal she went thru and for writing such an interesting blog:). BTW, I called to talk to mom yesterday, got your vm - Vijaya

Anonymous said...

terri:

you've been gone not even six months and you've neglected rule #1 of abbreviations (in usa, at least). spell it out first before using it.

it took me until almost the end of the post to understand that it had nothing to do with your financial life or uti investments.

in my defence, i did not really read the title. on the other hand, a few years ago, on one of our trips home, v.b. had to explain to me what 'usp' - a ubiquitous desi abbreviation - really meant!

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think somewhere down there lies an excellent plotline for a Woodhouse maybe? I think you are right about that " Medical facilities are better in India " syndrome. I thought I easily saved a grand on my root canal session, turns out now that I rather have it done in AKL....S

ara said...

now what leaves me dumbfounded is that mom's even heard that song tuu pee aur jee. i thought that was the sole purview of sanat and bineet & the "bawagiri" men.

:) manipal hospital -- when you are on the examination table three other patients walk in and sit waiting for you to be done with. and you KNOW that they are all ears, eyes and curiosity.

Terri the terrific said...

ara, we've watched and learned (a few things) from the experts ;) Manipal Hospital sounds exactly like a restaurant with free seating.

S, where/what is AKL? s.b. and I are confused.

s.b., I didn't forget the cardinal rule taught in journalism school. The abbreviation was intentional - to preserve some vestige of shame. And what is USP? I see it in the newspapers often. Please enlighten. And if somebody can teach me how to send text messages, I shall feel very cool and with it. The 10-year-old gave up on me.

Vijaya, I called you right back and got your vm.

mg, sometimes it comes in handy to hide behind a dog.

Anonymous said...

ara:

"now what leaves me dumbfounded is that mom's even heard that song tuu pee aur jee. i thought that was the sole purview of sanat and bineet & the "bawagiri" men."

looks like terri and you are referring to a song that i've not heard. the phrase reminded me of the song 'peene vaalon ko peene kaa bahaanaa chaahiye' one of the hits of that era.

terri:

akl badee yaa bhains?! maybe auckland?

here's usp. based on the data i have (three data points), i bet this acronym took hold in india in the early to mid 90s.

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

Ah, a marketing term. I thought it had to do with sex since it was in an article on condoms and another one on dating. What a let down!

Sachita said...

Reading the comments section, I suddenly feel like I am butting into some kind of aratai arangam.

AKL - Auckland a?
Mom went to journalism school a?
is mom going to turn up one day in NDTV/ CNN IBN ala barka dutt a?

text message - since i cant send text message either, i have joined the anti-text club and i am trying make it look cool.

Terri the terrific said...

sachita,

Possibly.
Yes.
No. That's broadcasting.

Just to show how ignorant I am - are SMS and texting one and the same?

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean YOU. I meant everyone else, such as the male receptionist etc nice that they don't have hang ups about these things!

Anonymous said...

AKL ..Auckland S

Anonymous said...

Apologies on being lazy, was almost signing of for the day until i saw people fighting over it...ha..S

Terri the terrific said...

mg, why would THEY have hang-ups? It was MY bladder. Your statement makes me wonder, do males get UTIs?

S, should have remembered you live in AKL. That's what happens when I have only a letter to go by.

Anonymous said...

Terri's Mom,

I love your blog. I stumbled on it when I was on some other blog one day and have been hooked ever since.

It is hilarious and irreverent. Keep it up.

ss

ps. The silent lurker in me felt compelled to come out today to applaud you on this outstanding post :)

Anonymous said...

What I meant was-people do tend to be coy about certain topics in India, even if they are medical personnel.
have no idea if males get UTIs.
Are you feeling better now? drinking lots of water?

Terri the terrific said...

SS, thank you. Much appreciated.

mg, am fine, thank you. Pumped on antibiotics since home remedies didn't work.

Anonymous said...

uh oh! paavam mom. ippo feeling better aa?

Anonymous said...

What are the home remedies? Am 10 weeks pregnant and have a UTI. I'm really worried about taking antibiotics at this time.

SS

Terri the terrific said...

dg, all better.

SS, congratulations! Other than drinking water, which is good for you pregnant or not, I wouldn't recommend anything else in your condition.

Anonymous said...

terri:

how did i miss this one?!

“So, you think you might be pregnant? Let’s see now, Dr. Very-Busy has no openings until spring. Would you like to call back?”

boy, if sanjay gandhi had imported those usa doctors 30 years ago, our desi population would've been in check ... and his dynasty would still be in power. wait a minute, his dynasty still is in power!

- s.b.

noon said...

Terri - how do these things happen to mom?! It is so funny! Is it just that she writes so nicely about it - even her life lends itself to nice little plots! It is so funny! I hope she has more and more such incidents to entertain those of us who have boring lives!

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., your comment reminds me of a certain family member who scoured the sabzi mandi asking for "nasbandi" one day when he meant "nashpati."

noon, thank you. Mom has tears in her eyes because she was accused just the other day of having absolutely no sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

Mom accused of no sense of humor?! That's libel, I say! Though I suppose threats of lawsuit only lends credence to the accusation ..
Glad to hear Mom is better. Enquiring minds want to know about the sequel "Returning the full sample container" - surely mom didn't get it out of the house and to the lab unaccosted?
-DS

Terri the terrific said...

DS, there is no sequel. Mom was told to place the sample on the sink and collect the report the following day. So much bhaag-daud for a simple UTI. 3 visits to the clinic and the results were still inconclusive because no one told her that the sample had to be the first piss of the day.

Anonymous said...

Terri, Some of us have a uni-tracked mind; As soon as I read “So, you think you might be pregnant? Let’s see now, Dr. Very-Busy has no openings until spring. Would you like to call back?”, I almost impulsively imagined the inevitable, and was about to shoot out a "congratulations, how the heck did you do it (the "usual way" of course, but you know what I mean?!)" email to mom.

Thankfully, I decided to read the rest of the entry before tasting my foot.

Good to know mom is all better. I usually ask all and sundry vising desh from USA to bring me truckloads of dried cranberries. Those things REALLY help.

And yes, men get UTI too. Not as often as us though.

Anonymous said...

terri,

i have been following your blog pretty regularly for a long time now. you have a great style of writing - witty, humorous and with stuff i can always relate to.

i have a question/request today and hence am taking the time to write this comment (writing anything at all takes way too much time for me..so i just surf a bit
and off to finishing up other chores :-). I have loved reading your's and your mom's R2I experiences especially for someone like me who thinks, dreams, plans
of one day going back to India.

I am really curious to know how the little one, Kuki is adjusting to the move, the school, the language, the friends, etc. It would be wonderful if you could either in your comments or the blog, share with us some of Kuki's experiences. This would help readers like me who have school-going little ones to decide if
its too hard on little ones to move to a completely new environment.

-rm

Terri the terrific said...

rm, thanks for writing in. I'll post on that shortly.

lakshmi, aren't dried cranberries extremely sour? I only like them in baked goods, where I used them in place of raisins. And why are men always so lucky?

Anonymous said...

Very sour and sweet, a strange combination but very tasty.

Men get us.. can they get any luckier?

And at least they get UTI now and then. VTI makes martyrs out of our sex. Some day I wish I could pick up enough courage and write about a personal VTI experience. It will be a gut-wrenching post, for sure.

Terri the terrific said...

Lakshmi, s.b. didn't ask, but I will - what's VTI? Could it be something that rhymes with Regina?

Anonymous said...

terri:

using the context, i figured it out pretty easily, thank you very much!

suffice it to say that had your blog's opening sentence referred to vti, i would've scurried to a recent "unrated" chart. this vti is equal opportunity - has made martyrs of everyone still with a non-golden 401(k).

- s.b.

DotThoughts said...

I think I have delurked before.. but yeah.. am a regular reader.. just don't comment as much as I should! Loved the post! Hope you are better now!

Anonymous said...

Could it be anything else?