Sunday, November 30, 2008

Khoon aur paani

In the last few days, we’ve discovered that it’s entirely possible to feel chilly in Chennai and to crave hot chocolate with a steaming plate of pakodas.

“Your first cyclone!” an aunt said. “See? No power supply, roads have knee-deep water, schools are closed, servants don’t show up, clothes don’t dry, trees land on houses and people fall sick. Oh, and be prepared, malaria usually follows.”

Grandparents, watching weather news briefs and Mumbai mayhem on television from 2,000 kilometers away, call and warn the humans not to go out. “Stay away from 5-star hotels especially. And make sure you don’t order Chinese food or salad in the rainy season,” says grandma. “You’re sure to fall sick.”

With no television and a suspended Internet connection (“What to do? Mazhai, saar,”) the humans learned of news reports the old-fashioned way, unfurling sensational headlines every morning with a side of cereal and coffee.

With the rain putting a damper on MP Kanimozhi’s ribbon-cutting and lamp-lighting ceremonies, the local newspaper filled its pages instead with photos of weary-looking Caucasians exiting the damaged hotels in Mumbai. Prominence was also accorded to a rambling eyewitness account by a Taj guest with such excellent communication skills that his own family was under the mistaken impression he was in Kolkata instead.

For local news coverage, mom had only to look outside the window to see the wind and rain compete with each other to put on a stupendous son et lumière show for three days running.

In between bouts of when-will-the-rain-stop-and-the-maid and cook-show-up, mom was consumed by housewifely woes of the washing not drying. Unannounced guests to our home would have been subjected to the family’s damp underwear spread on dining chairs, moist towels adorning the furniture and door handles decorated with hangers sporting wet T-shirts.

“I miss my clothes dryer,” lamented mom, recalling the sensation of warm clothes tumbling out with bits of face tissue still attached to them.

“There’s no power, Amma,” the kids brought her back to reality, causing her to sigh as she folded the once fluffy towels now reduced to the texture of a coarse loofah.

With no school and no electronic entertainment to fall back on, the kids whined away time by pouting and rapidly losing interest in mom’s when-I-was-growing-up-we-had-no-power-all-night-and-often-had-to-study-by-candlelight stories.

Luckily, a flooded house caused some distraction for the children, who ran back and forth delighted at the idea of a shallow pool in the dining room.

“How do we clean this mess?” panicked mom at the sight of floating computer cables and furniture legs standing in water. “See? This is why you should’ve cleared the drain when I first told you to,” she said, unmoved by the sight of her husband poking and prodding the drain in the terrace with a long stick in the pouring rain.

“Stop making a big deal out of everything,” said dad, equally unmoved by the sight of his wife standing in toe-deep water with her pants folded up, wielding a wooden broom.

Three hours and many wet towels later, the humans restored order to the house and mom wearily went to bed fully anticipating waking up on a floating bed the next morning.

“Do you think the house will flood again?” the children asked eagerly the following day.

“Of course not,” replied dad confidently.

“Wear your swim suits just in case,” whispered mom.

With perverse pleasure she waited for the maid to show. “Now when she gives her standard excuse of missing work because of a flooded house, I can tell her about the flooding in my house,” she thought, looking out the window every time she heard a footfall.

Five days later, the rain abated and the sun shone, but mom is still wringing her hands waiting for the maid to make an appearance.

"I bet you she'll show up on the 1st, in time to collect her salary," said mom, conviction shining in her eyes. Walking into the kitchen, she almost missed dad's response, "There you go again. Making a big deal out of everything!"

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are dealing with things fine, I think dealing with the flood is much better than terrorists, Here's wishing to more sunshine and hope..Srikanth

Sands said...

haven't laughed so much since i came to India & away from Yo. It was so much more realistic since I am right here experiencing the rains with you :)

Guddi said...

When I was in India, I used to call my "bai" (maid), Hawaldar (cop).. somehow they always show up after the fight scenes, na?

Meira said...

I stumbled across another thing that binds people nation-wide...The Maid!
Sigh! Sigh.
Take care, all of you.

Terri the terrific said...

Meira, The Maid is an all-important figure who can make or break a woman's day.

guddi, that was profoundly funny! Of course she showed today (the 1st) with a Ram kahani of wading in waist-deep water and losing all her belongings, food, clothes, etc., in the rain. She even recounted a pitiful tale of her cat stuck in the eaves for four days, mewling. Mom made her a warm cup of tea while listening to her tale of woe, gave imported chocolates to her children and the entire month's salary. Maid is sure to do the disappearing act again without warning.

Sands, please take me with you to Kerala to recover.

Srikanth, not to make a big deal out of it, but a terrorist strike is all that's lacking in this metro now.

dipali said...

Poor Mom. Hope the Sun God is kind again.

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, yes, after feeling like we've been on Noah's Ark the last few days, the sun finally smiled and dried our clothes and neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Oh no..it was indeed lousy..we live in a reasonable high-lying area and we did have power and yet were miserable..

Hopefully its all done and over with now.

Terri the terrific said...

gds, do working people get three days off like the schools? I was wondering if rain and flooding (though legitimate) are good excuses for office people to not show up. I was counting my blessings that I don't report to anyone, least of all a manager in the U.S. who has never traveled beyond Canada.

Anonymous said...

Our clothes are still smelling dank.
Yes, the drier (warm clothes, smelling of flowery antistat sheets) is one of the three(the others being, pastry and driving an auto-geared vehicle @ 65 mpg) things I miss about US (there, I said it).

Anonymous said...

"Dryer" not "Drier". Duh.

Anonymous said...

"mph" not "mpg".
I really need to sleep.

Terri the terrific said...

Pastry?!!! Nobody makes pastries quite like the Indians do. Along with Grand Snacks fare, we set aside money and extra calories almost every week for light, spongy pineapple and black forest pastries that spring to the touch and melt in the mouth.
P.S. 'Drier' is also right. Unless you meant Dryer's ice cream.

Sachita said...

Aiyoo terri, don't hit me now, but no backup generator?

the damp clothes is what i hate the most abt chennai's rainy season.. if I stood in a place a minute longer, I ran the risk of my mom trying to dry the clothes on me using the body heat. The maid affecting the mom's mood in turn affecting the whole family's mood.. sigh, somethings i don't miss about India.

-Sachita

Sachita said...

Lakshmi,
IFB does sell Separate Dryer in India too. Discovered this during my Parents recent trip to US, where this was pretty much the only thing that he was fascinated by. He has had his fare share of Madras rainy seasons.

-Sachita

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, after making fun of rich people with polluting generators, how can I get one for myself? I'll wait for the spouse to do it ;)

They have dryers in India? The lackadaisical staff at Vivek's didn't bother with the sales pitch then.

Returning NRIs - if the company pays for the move, please bring your dryer along. I'll take it if you want your clothes to be sun kissed.

Anonymous said...

Sachita, two reasons preclude my buying the IFB Dryer. Affordability and space constraints.

Yes Terri, Vivek is hopeless. Try the new gadget mega-mall or whatever that has sprung up in ECR (or is it OMR?). Bringing US dryers to India would involve using a transformer for voltage conversion, and lack of service options.

Anonymous said...

Do working people get leave?

Well I work in a place when I'm on call any time of the day, any day of the week (no Im not a doctor). So I can take the "liberty" of saying I'm working from home, just had to run to the office to pick up my laptop's charger..plus I report into bosses in Bombay and they were mostly stuck indoors..so I had it relatively easy.

But the more regimented offices had a day off only on Friday I think..and normally these things would be compensated by working on a holiday..

How to cope with damp clothes here: Get the regular "drying" that a washing machine here does, ensure you have a foldable clothes hanger, put it under the fan and iron the clothes out if you must! Imported dryers wont work.

Anonymous said...

"from 2,000 kilometers away"

If you are using the metric system, you must be settled in. The first time I got on a treadmill here, I was wondering why I was crawling at my usual 4.0 pace. I had to bump up the speed to past 6.0 to get moving at a familiar cadence. After marvelling about the fact that I had only gotten fitter and faster despite not exercising for months, the DUH bulb went off - the treadmill was using the metric system ..

Your maid has a cat? She deserves all the hot tea and sympathy you can give her ;-)

-DS

Sachita said...

Shastras have clearly mentioned that the dryers can be used only during the absence of God Surya. Just saying..

What exactly can Mom be jealous of Jlo for? have you looked at her stoned husband?

did you write about "Then she found me" sometime ago?

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, he's stoned? I thought he's naturally ugly. And is the last line a J. Lo song?

DS, I still prefer miles. But google.co.in came up with this figure.

gds, with a moniker like yours, drying clothes shouldn't be a problem.

L, mega gadget mall? Why am I not feeling even a frisson of excitement or curiosity? Mention mega library on the other hand, and you'd get a different reaction.

Anonymous said...

terri:

then she found me

sachita:

what is the connection?

and i am still confused - is "sachita(india)" inside india or outside? and is there a separate "plain vanilla sachita" who is also either inside india or outside?

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., sachita, thanks. Sounds like my kind of movie.

And will the real Sachita please raise her hand?

Sachita said...

SB,
There is only one as far as I know. sachitaindia is my blog name, why blogger puts that India in brackets, I don't know.

I don't usually sign in to google to post a comment. Nowadays I do.

Re. "then she found me",I thought Terri's mom had put up a one line review of that movie sometime ago.

And Terri's Mom, except for Colin firth I wouldn't really recommend that movie.

Anonymous said...

sachita:

"why blogger puts that India in brackets, I don't know."

log in to blogger/google - whichever you use more often. once you log in, check your account profile; somewhere there it will be saying "sachita(india)" which, if you want to, you can modify.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Terri! Just realised -- Mom hardly ever writes about you these days. How well settled or not are you? Have the humans converted you into a Chennaiite by serving you thachi mammu?

Terri the terrific said...

inba, as mom tells everyone, I'm the only one who's not complaining. Food is plentiful here, even on the streets, and I was taken to the beach yesterday, after a full six months here. The waves didn't interest me as much as the cyclone debris washed ashore. A veritable smorgasbord, I tell you. Those pye-dogs are so lucky!