Who would've thought mom had it in her to turn heads? Of average height and unremarkable appearance, the woman slouches and has the personality of a ruminant bovine on most days.
But on a recent Friday night, as she and her girlfriends walked into Shiro, an upscale lounge bar in Bangalore, all heads turned and conversation came to a standstill.
“Wow, this is probably what a celebrity feels like when she enters a room,” thought mom, automatically straightening her shoulders and sucking her stomach in, until she realized that people were staring because she was dressed in a loose salwar kameez with a matching bindi, and was wearing her mother’s pearls.
The female patrons at the bar seemed oblivious to the night chill and wore clothes better suited to a fashion runway, while Exhibit A mom huddled in a shawl exactly like the one Mrs. Dhingra, her college lecturer, wore when she sunned herself on the college lawn and shelled peanuts in between classes.
Mom has no one but herself to blame for this fashion faux pas. After living in a neighborhood where maamis wander around in faded nighties with a towel thrown over their bosom, she was somewhat unprepared for the trendy set in Bangalore.
As she went around town, mom observed that the women in Bangalore are nattily dressed even when they rush to the closest Iyengar bakery to buy bread. Many a times did she trip and fall on non-existent sidewalks as she admired slim legs encased in fitting jeans and perky breasts swinging under snug tops.
When she wasn't staring at comely maidens with long tresses and sharp features, mom spent quality time with old friends, couples she and dad have known since H-1 visa days who are now living it up in Bangalore. With alcohol flowing and household help hovering in the background, the group reminisced and fondly watched the next generation forging bonds.
Visits to relatives were squeezed in between, and mom also managed to meet not one, but two friends from the online world, and spoke to two others she would’ve loved to meet in person.
Her first stop was at DS’s who doesn’t blog yet, but makes up for it by leaving entertaining comments here. As she walked into this virtual stranger’s house, mom was greeted by the smell of simmering apricots.
“Remember that post?” asked DS, as mom racked her brains. “I thought I’d make you some Qubani ka meetha.” (Note to self: Write more about food!)
As mom hovered in the kitchen, DS bustled around pouring, boiling, cooking, stirring, brewing tea and making warm conversation a la Rachel Ray. The Qubani, when it cooled, was well worth the wait of a lifetime, and mom threw etiquette aside to lick the spoon until it reflected her face.
DS is also a baker, and it has been brought to her kind attention that mom has a weakness for white flour and sugar.
The next day, mom rang the doorbell at Anitha’s house. Much like her writing, Anitha’s home is neat and methodical, yet vibrant and stimulating. Looking at the houseplants in the balcony, the earthy orange and yellow hues peeking from the bedrooms, and a haunting oil painting of a woman holding a lamp hung in the drawing room, it’s easy to tell that a creative soul resides in the house who also happens to tend her thoughts with equal care.
Even though Anitha has hidden her old pieces from public view, some of her writing has left such an indelible impression that were she a spider and I a fly, I’d willingly walk into her parlor without waiting for an invitation.
Stuffed with good food and stimulated by superlative company during their short stay in the ex-garden city, the humans boarded the train back home. As the railway staff served them meals in courses, the family noted that the vegetable soup was missing vegetables, the samosas smelled stale, the dal was a little runny, the yoghurt too sweet, and the only recognizable vegetable in the mixed curry was a cauliflower floret poking through. “Yucky! Hot! Spicy! I want pasta!” were the comments heard through the compartment on the return trip.
And to think that not so long ago, these very same people were grateful to receive salted peanuts or mini pretzels on five-hour long plane journeys. Sigh! How they've changed.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Back from cool ooru
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

28 comments:
Too bad we could not meet !!!!
Aaaargh railway food.. poor kids...
YaYYY you are back
Wish I'd been in Bangalore!
"average height and unremarkable appearance"?! BAD dog, Terri!
For the record, Mom is tall (and that's not just my 5-foot-nothing envy talking) and lovely and immaculately put together.
Shiro in swanky UB City? I've gawked at the designer stores there from the outside, I didn't think the sales staff would let me in.
Rachel Ray? Really? Was I relentlessly perky? Did I coyly splash EVOO into the Q ka meetha? I'll never live this down with the other half, who used to bait me by comparing me to Rachel Ray, so NOT telling him.
-DS
DS, the comparison with RR is because of your multitasking skills. Mom cannot cook with another person in the kitchen. She needs complete concentration and will mess up even if the television is on. That's why she was very impressed with the way you bustled around AND produced a masterpiece.
Sujatha, wish I were in Washington :) We'll meet on your next India trip.
WA, missed me so much? I might stop blogging one of these days.
Vijay, we'll meet soon.
LOL about Titli :) I liked the movie quite a bit.
Of course you were missed. As to the stop blogging part - not yet please. Atleast wait till i discover some equally good blogs :)
Hi Terri's mom. Wondered about u. Forgot you mentioned this trip when we were there. Tried calling you a bunch of times before leaving but phone just kept ringing :)
Your mom is too gracious, Terri! And so pretty. Glad indeed to have met her.
ano
terri:
i envy your mom. btw, talking of gardens, you would not have much success around here right about now ...
tonight's low temperatures:
phx 56
tpa 28
can you believe it?!! if we had 100% humidity, it would be snowing in the middle of floawida!
at this rate, those cardinals had better wear jackets come super bowl ("s.b."?) time in conditions homemade for the steelers!
- s.b.
s.b., Bangalore was freezing cold this time. The floors felt like ice, and needless to say, the chill+dust+traffic fumes have left us sick. I wanted to stuff my toes into a floor heater when I was in Bangalore.
ano, it was wonderful to meet you too. I told my daughter she missed some good company when I came home. The markers and coloring material are being put to good use.
Sands, bumped into your sister and niece the other day.
WA, check Punarjanam's blogroll. So many wonderful blogs out there.
Shobha, wasn't the house featured in the movie worth tripping over?
Thanks Terri, I know you meant it as a compliment, but my love-hate relationship with RR prompted that ungracious response :)
-DS
Punarjanman's blogroll? Have you tried it recently, I haven't had a chance to complain to Ra yet
Yeah what is with the nightie with a dupatta thrown in for modesty I wonder! How can people wander about in their nighties?!
Maybe you could move to Bangalore if you do decide to stay on in India no? Though the traffic is a huge grouse people have there..it really is bad.
So many people got to meet you. I am Jealous:(
-Sachita
Sachita, are you jealous of them or me?
gds, traffic is bad in both places. I usually get my reading done in the car.
WA, you're right. Ra's blogroll seems to have disappeared.
DS, I'm not sure how I feel about Rachel Ray. Husband likes to watch her (even though he doesn't cook much) so gut reaction tells me I should hate her. Who knows? Maybe he only watches her for her big butt instead of her loud mouth.
Ahem. I have made it private and you lot aren't the only ones complaining. Perhaps get your own blogroll?
TM-You'd better not stop blogging. Or else.
'Jealous' of them!
-Sachita
WA, Ms. ex-Manolo's blogroll is still up and running. Lots of good writers there as well.
" Of average height and unremarkable appearance, the woman slouches and has the personality of a ruminant bovine on most days."
Terri, do you and I know the same mom ?
lakshmi:
what is the equivalent of 'poetic license' as it applies to blogs?
- s.b.
Lakshmi, I know the woman better :)
s.b., 'prosaic license'?
Terri, I'll soon find out if what you say about your human lady is true ;) Chennaimetraas, here I come! (In 3 weeks' time, I mean)
PS. It's been FAR too long between posts, by the way! :)
Shyam, we haven't even met and you're already complaining? :) I might close shop soon. Reading and commenting is way more fun.
Hmmm, the other half invariably stops to watch RR if he cames across her show while channel-surfing and the man does not cook at all anymore (even though I've many times that men who cook are HOT).
Re: Robin Wright Penn in "Message in a Bottle", I think that's a mole. She was in one of my all time favorite movies "The Princess Bride". If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend it. It's probably 20 years old and somewhat of a cult classic. But don't let that put you off - it's family friendly! Kuki might be too young to get the humor, but your son will likely enjoy it. There's enough zany characters in it to distract you from RWP's physiognomy.
And to tie the 2 together, the next time the OH eyeballs RR, I shall (a la Inigo Montoya from TPB) menacingly point a sword at him and inform him to "Prepare to die."
-DS
I protest! It wasnt so much a complaint as a... um, ok, it was a small complaint, but ONLY because you were missed, Terri :)
ds:
"even though I've many times that men who cook are HOT"
hmmm ... the comment i get most often is that what i cook is too hot (aka spicy!). :-)
"don't let that put you off - it's family friendly!"
talking of family friendly, i suggest that you folks - if you have them - keep mahabharata dvds out of reach of kids. yesterday, we were watching the scene where arjuna shoots bunches of arrows through bheeshma. our little one had headache, earache, and all other aches one could think off, and cried her head off for the next few minutes. finally, i had to put her to bed.
- s.b.
enjoyed the time with your mom, terr! missed u tho :)
come back soon -- and for "good" - whatever that may be :)
Post a Comment