“I’m going to New York tomorrow,” announced mom grandly one evening, giving her family the impression that she was indeed making good on her desire to go back to the U.S. to buy underwire brassieres for herself and dainty sandals for her six-year-old.
Before the family thrust a shopping list at her, mom clarified that she was going to be in New York vicariously. “I’m only going to watch the movie, guys,” she said.
The next day, while the rest of Bangalore seemingly commuted to work, mom and five other ladies from our housing complex hopped into taxis to drive an hour away to the closest multiplex to catch a 10:15 a.m. show.
“This feels so decadent,” thought mom guiltily, watching people with grim faces and ID badges waiting on the road to board a bus or fighting their way through traffic. “Who goes to watch a movie at 10 in the morning?”
Apparently, the students at the college down the street from the multiplex did, for the ticket counters were packed with boys and girls who had skipped classes.
New York was sold out thanks to these truants, so the ladies were left with little choice than to watch a parallel-running show instead. “Only 60 bucks, ya. So cheap!” they justified, as they groped for their seats in the darkened theater to watch Kambakkht Ishq.
Less than two minutes into the movie, mom distanced herself from her brain. As Akshay Kumar strutted on screen in snug pants, she wondered where exactly his mass appeal lay. Was it in his voice that sounds like he swallowed a frog, or in the perma-leer on his face when he looks at women? Could the attraction lie in his bulging biceps or in his golden, hairless chest?
For the amount he makes per film, the man even mispronounced Denise Richards’ name, after sharing screen time with her. Clearly, his attention, while she sat on his lap and rubbed herself against him, was elsewhere.
The movie had as many holes as a sea sponge has, and mom sat through the entire film with a tub of popcorn in her hands, periodically popping kernels into her mouth every time she yawned.
135 excruciating minutes later, she streamed out of the hall behind the teeny-bopper crowd, praying that the men in the audience - little more than boys really – would treat women far more respectfully that the hero-molester does. (The hero gropes and assaults the heroine in a group song in Venice and she predictably falls in love with him by the end of the film.)
“Well, I didn’t go to New York. I went to L.A. instead,” announced mom when she returned home, referring to the city Kambakkht Ishq is shot in.
“Are you going to New York next week?” the children asked a little too eagerly.
"Why?" sniffed mom suspiciously.
"No, these chocolate doughnuts you got us from the mall are nice, but next time get glazed ones," they replied, licking their sticky fingers.
For now, mom has elected to stay home. She has yet to recover from the sight of Amrita Arora's pockmarked cleavage, which was on ample display throughout the film.

27 comments:
This flick will most likely go down in history as the most-hated-yet-watched-bore! The sheer number of reviews is mind-boggling..
Yet another movie with the dreaded "Maa ko dikhane layak ladki" dialogue. Ofcourse, brainless hero can prance around with as many goris, but for mummy, he wants good virgin Indian girl wonly.
* vomit *
And those "mind boggling stunts" in the review turned out to be those gimmicks they show on the Universal studio daily tour. What a big yawn!
haha well-written post! made me laugh out loud :D i avoid akshay kumar movies like the plague. i mean who can take that guy seriously after that absolutely ridiculous film he made called chandni chowk to china? his one decent movie might be hera pheri but that's it.
perma-leer indeed :D ..Terri's mom is yet to learn that even for a morning show, it is better to book tickets in advance in namma city :)
shrooty, I haven't watched CCtC precisely because stud master is in it. I remember him writhing on the floor with Priyanka Chopra in a film while she tries to unsuccessfully seduce him. Somehow, given his image, it seemed incredible that he would actually refuse a woman.
cluelessness, what I found revolting was that the virgin girl picks this prick to take home to her family. Where did virgin doctor misplace her brains?
rads, none of the people I read have done reviews yet on the film. AMRITA, hint, hint!
The Muser, after that experience we're trying to book Harry Potter tickets for the kids. Haven't been successful so far.
I watched Tashan. I empathise. You poooooorrrr thinggggg!!! I am yet to recover from that experience. Therefore I wisely stayed far far away from Kambakth Ishq(however its spelled).
Try the new Symphony theatre, I think its called Shankar Nag Fame or something like that for HP6 tickets. HP6 was most disappointing though.
I think I read one "good" review of this film....and to think I actually liked Pammal K Sambandham (the original).....
Thankfully didn't shell out money for this...
M
T's mom commandments:
Thou shall not see Akshay kumar's movies.
Thou shall not practice yoga with full stomach.
Thou shall not drive car in B'lore traffic.
Thou shall not......
Cheers
Srikanth
Amrita already reviewed it, Barf was the word.
I dont what you went to watch the movie for, apparently the key reasons should be kareena's clothes, akshay's action stunts and probably hollywood's latest sensation(!).
about the right side of the page, the older sister didnt just stop her sister but other singers too i hear(some from south). it is so strange coz the older sister truly had a golden voice and nobody would have anyway matched up to her.
Sachita, the six housewives went to the movie - any movie, actually - because we had escaped! After a one-hour commute, there was no point going home empty-headed.
Srikanth, one more: Thou shalt not desperately miss thine old life in the U.S. and want to return on the next plane.
M, was the original also set in L.A., complete with skinny babes and every single ride on the Universal Studios tour?
Ron, was Tashan the movie Kareena starved herself for? When babes lose weight, they would do well to remember that the bust is the first thing to become flaccid.
Instead of yummy John Abraham to ogle at you had yucky akki to bear, amounts to human rights violation.
//Who goes to watch a movie at 10 in the morning?//
Uh? Huh?!
Bannu, "yucky Akki" just about sums it up :) I doubt the tabloids would dub him so though. BTW, what grade do you teach?
inbavalli, sorry, I forgot. Now I know that hormonal teenagers also use the movie theaters at that time of morning to kill two birds with one stone.
Unrelated Terr, but I just remembered something- the shop Just Born (http://www.justbornbaby.com/outlet.htm) has a lot of stuff imported from here (I bought Similac there) - you might want to see if they have toilet paper.
-Viji
You are right about the tabloids though. Akshay Kumar must be having something which is not obvious to us. About your question, I teach undergrads and postgrads. The same people who would rather watch NY than attend classes.
Viji, the store's very far from where I live, but thanks for remembering. For some strange reason, the toilet paper we buy in Bangalore is way softer than what was available in Chennai.
Bannu, you teach a hormonal crowd? Do you ever get conscious of the fact that the boys are not really looking at the blackboard when you teach, but at you?
Hey Mom, happy birthday!
(No I'm not a stalker, found out from Ra)
Many happy returns of the day, Terri's mom! Have a wonderful year.
Happy Birthday!
M (another Leo)
Appy Appy Birthday! Just saw it at Ra as well.
It is a raining Leos here. I am one too.
Thanks so much (Leo and non-Leo) ladies!
Happy Birthday!
Veena
Happy birthday! (belated!). :-)
-Viji
Terri, did your mom have a good b'day? Do a post please!
Happy Birthday TM! Hope it was fun.
MB
Terri, just saw your question re: KI - no, the original, Pammal KS was set in MDS - and was funny for some right reasons! Kamal's madras accent, little in-jokes about Madras etc.
M
Post a Comment