I’m not sure why an American actress was picked to play the lead in a movie set in 19th century England. Reese Witherspoon does justice to her role in Vanity Fair, but is there a dearth of talent in England that a Hollywood actress had to play the part of an English woman?
One wonders why filmmakers frequently overlook homespun talent in favor of foreign skill. Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma and Yul Brynner in The King and I come to mind, as does Jessica Alba in The Sleeping Dictionary. Closer home, Katrina Kaif (I use the word “talent” loosely here) serves as an example, along with a miscast Lisa Ray in Water (How many Indian widows look like her, I want to know?)
Perhaps director Mira Nair was simply trying to cash in on a major Hollywood star’s popularity at the box office. Whatever her reasons to cast Reese, Vanity Fair works for me on almost all levels, including costume, location, supporting characters and narration.
I haven’t read the book yet, but the movie is set in a time when English ladies wore low-cut, shapeless gowns, and attended soirees and tea parties to keep themselves occupied. Having watched and read many period dramas, one wonders how society ladies managed to stay in shape despite no exercise other than a leisurely stroll around the park. With housemaids and butlers in attendance, the women seemed to have no outlet for their energy other than gossiping while fanning themselves furiously at balls or playing the harp or piano, and taking up needlepoint.
The protagonist Becky is unfortunate enough to be born into poverty. What she lacks in pedigree she makes up for with an astute mind, and financial insecurity as an orphan mold her into a sharp go-getter who uses her feminine wiles to sleep her way out of penury.
The shrewd opportunist marries a charming rake despite loving only herself and money, and tries to carve a place for herself in genteel society. In the process of climbing the social ladder, she alienates her gambler husband, young son and her only real female friend who’s a maudlin contrast to strong-willed Becky.
The calculating character reminds me of a woman I know. Beautiful without being overtly seductive, talented, extremely brainy and charming, she seems to have the world at her feet. And yet, her delightful demeanor belies a devious, cunning mind and extremely sharp talons that she regularly unsheathes on people unfortunate enough to be outside her clique.
While most women tend to keep their distance from her, men are attracted to her like bees to honey. In spite of being married to a uxorious man, it seems as though a deep-rooted insecurity drives her to seek attention mostly of the masculine kind, which she greedily laps up before moving on.
She’s a sight to behold as she makes the rounds at parties with tinkling glass and laughter, stalking certain men and chatting up others, all the while making sure their wives don’t feel left out, much like Becky does in the movie. It’s a talent she was either born with or cultivated somewhere along the way.
Truly, if there were a finishing school that churns out such social charmers, brilliant actresses who use their slick minds as the only medium, the wallflower in me might be tempted to sign up.
Wouldn't you?
Monday, August 10, 2009
Betty looks, Veronica personality
Labels: Terri's talkies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
only segment I can comment on - why women had such cute figures in spite of being spoilt of privileges,there was no KFC/Mc donald's or any other junk food for that matter. ..Srikanth
And in terms of Regional films, Try Anand from Telugu land...Srikanth
Hi!
You might like Vaanaprastham (Malayalam) starring Mohanlal and Suhasini Mani Ratnam. Directed by Shaji M Karun.
Satyajit Ray's Charulata, Aranyer Din Ratri & the Apu trilogy. Rituparno Ghosh's Shubho Mahurat. My suggestions :)
not to be a wet blanket, there is no such school or it must be pre-natal or even pre-pre-natal:)
Reese was a riot in the movie. casting couldnt have been better. I have the book but have only read half of it, it is good though.
Ps: regional language is a vast area. my pick would be manichitrathazu.
LOL! No, I wouldn't sign up, thanks.
BTW, it's 19th century. Early Victorian or thereabouts, I think. And the women were plump. Skinny was not beautiful, na? Corsets gave them waists.
Sue, you don't come across as a wallflower from your posts, so I don't think I'd admit you if I were the principal :)
Sachita, that sounds like a horror movie. I'd be very afraid to watch it.
Shobha, Praveen, Srikanth, thanks. Some of the available films are on my queue.
Srikanth, they might not have eaten junk, but the concept of low-fat did not exist. Steaks, cream, butter, scones, wine, cake ... maybe that was the secret!
Did you watch "Shubho Muhurat" --- Rituparno directing Rakhee as a Bong Ms Marple
(This is in response to the question on sidebar)
no, no, it isnt a horror movie. i am not a scary(movie) person. I switch channels even if the scary movie trailer is on.
Post a Comment