Looks like old King Fahd passed on yesterday. No, I'm not going to make a Freudian slip over his good name, but his death reminded me of Princess Sultana's chronicles.
If you haven't read them yet, the trilogy portray a world of opulence and oppression, a life where Saudi women are treated little better than their Filipina maids. Wealthy Saudi princesses can hop to Paris or Milan to buy feminine hygiene products, but can't shop at the local mall or go to the beach without tripping over their abayas.
Now, a lot of you will disagree (especially if you're married to some of the AZCool members), but, I think, people of Arabic descent are among the most attractive in the world; especially the women. Unfortunately, unless you're a harem eunuch, it's next to impossible to catch a glimpse of these beauties.
Ever wonder why Muslims like to swaddle themselves in layers of long, flowing robes? Duh, to keep cool in the dry heat, some of you might say. Eh, try convincing the co-eds at ASU to adopt that dress code.
I know the women are supposed to stay hidden so as not to incite lascivious thoughts, but why are the men all covered up? Here's a scary thought - what if the men are actually buck naked under their robes?!!
I have decided that in my next life, I'd like to be reborn as a fabulously wealthy Sheik. Except for that circumcision part that can't be too pleasant, life would be pretty grand if I had a couple of oil fields to my name. From what I read, I wouldn't have to become a software engineer with a mortgage on my head; I can engage in gratuitous sex in the name of religion; and, I don't even have to remember what grades my kids are in, because I'll have too many to count. I can pretty much do whatever I want and get away with it.
Well, so can the likes of Michael Jackson, you say.
Sure, but given a choice, I'd rather look like, let's say... Aamir Khan in Mangal Pandey, than look like MJ. 
Speaking of handsome Muslims, what, in Allah's name, went wrong here?
Monday, August 01, 2005
Arabian stallion, anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
slightly off topic, but also about backward regimes, see Hotel Rwanda if you have not.
i cried and cringed thru it last night.
going to hunt for the trilogy in bookstores here.
Post a Comment