Monday, April 30, 2007

Well, what do you know?!!

No sooner do I void mom's aspirations on a public domain that she receives a phone call from an old friend, entirely out of the blue, asking if she would be interested in ahem, ahem, helping her proof and edit documents and develop her fledgling freelance business.

Not only has mom not heard from her friend in awhile, but the woman left her country and a remodeling business to settle down under the Alpine sun for a slower pace of life.

You could’ve knocked us down with a feather when we heard from Karen. Now, if that’s not a sign that the universe is rearranging itself for mom, I don’t know what is.

Although mom isn't about to quit her day job yet, the fact that an opportunity presented itself is enough to make her smile and believe in the power of the law of attraction.

And as if that's not precious enough, she made a virtual friend in the bargain - a skilful raconteuse who spins tangled yarns with mere words.

Not to piss any naysayers off, but at this rate, the art of positive thinking is threatening to take over mom’s world.

14 comments:

The Visitor said...

Now, if that’s not a sign that the universe is rearranging itself for mom, I don’t know what is.


When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it...
-Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist.

Look here for more..

Terri the terrific said...

visitor, you're the second person to quote the book. Now I have to lay my paws on it.

The Visitor said...

Reading mom's and Thought Raker's posts, I decided to take the plunge. By the time I typed out this sentence my determination is waning. :(

Probably I should take a decision after i climb step 1 and 2 in mom's 5 step programme towards attaining one's goals.

The Visitor said...

I made another discovery today! I was reading Sayesha's visit to Pakistan (Islamabad), where I found out that Sayesha was an engineer turned children's book editor/publisher. Is that a sign too?

PS: I seem to be hogging a lot of comment space.

Terri the terrific said...

visitor, we'll be rooting for you when you do take the plunge, but it sounds as though you're not ready yet.

I can't believe I came up with those five steps. Maybe I should become an agony aunt instead.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Well good for Mom!
"the art of positive thinking" could you ask your mom to spin some of that my way :)

upsilamba said...

Good to see mom smiling!

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

:) Excellent... may this lead to many more opportunities.

Terri the terrific said...

M, you’re the doc.! As such, you should be the poster child of positivism ;)

I really hope, along with your other readers, that you quickly get out of this funk you seem to have found yourself in the new year and get back to your old, inspirational self.

upsi, mom wishes she had a 'smiling face' that looks perpetually pleasant, but some smile is better than none at all.

shoefie, that sounds sincerely genuine. Thank you. And if you're ever in the market for a book doctor / copy editor, give us a holler.

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. this is the second time in a week that the phrase "law of attraction" has appeared before me... there must be some message in there...

Anonymous said...

So is mom seizing the opportunity?

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, when I first heard of it, it sounded more like an attraction of the sexes.
You must do a post on it.

vijay, all in good time.

rads said...

Terri - I have taken a break from being a model employee and spent some time on my neglected blog. Thanks for shoving me into the right direction.
:)

desi witch said...

also think u might like to read these:
http://www.heymarci.com/about.html


http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/01/business/smallbusiness/01webcareers.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=smallbusiness&adxnnlx=1178238619-2t6yrz1IIlONPcVyEwludQ&oref=slogin

and if u ever need a test audience to read your book - pretty please pick me!