As a matter of principle, mom usually doesn’t argue with strangers when she’s lying naked on her back in a dimly lit hotel room.
So, when the Austrian woman kneading her inner thighs paused mid-massage and declared mom was no vegetarian, she merely smiled and tried to change the subject.
“You're not vegetarian if you eat eggs and dairy,” the masseuse insisted in her guttural accent. “Do you eat fish?”
When mom replied in the negative, the woman scoffed. “Fish is not an animal,” she declared. “You need protein. Where do you get your protein from?”
Perhaps the woman mistook mom’s sigh for one of pleasure, for she proceeded to rub her thighs rather vigorously, until mom felt an urge to cross her legs.
“How long have you lived here?” mom asked weakly, steering the woman away from rhapsodizing on the 101 ways an Austrian sausage could bring one pleasure.
Mom had signed up for a one-hour massage as part of an offsite team building session with great expectations. The morning at the boss’s house with her co-workers had passed pleasantly by, followed by a leisurely lunch at a local resort. The massage was supposed to be the grand finale of a day away from the office on company time and dime.
Pleasant visions of a relaxing rub-down were dashed to the ground as soon as the masseuse entered the room talking incessantly and proceeded to butcher mom’s name despite her mastery of four European languages.
In the hour that followed, mom learned about the woman’s birth in Argentina following the collapse of the Reich, her return to Austria, her migration to Chicago, her grandson’s near fatal shooting, her mother’s advanced Alzheimer, her husband’s Italian ancestry, her twin sister’s leukemia, her daughters’ children and her older son’s divorce.
By the time she rolled over, mom knew more about the woman’s family than she did about dad's erogenous zones.
Biding her time until she could collect her clothes, mom listened with one ear until she lost track of whether the woman’s paternal grandfather or her maternal great grandfather had sired 16 children with three wives and a mistress.
“Where are your roots?” the woman asked her.
Before mom could point to her head, the masseuse clarified, “Are you Islam?”
Upon learning of mom's roots, she proceeded to tell her about a girl in her village who was abducted and vanished without a trace. “It’s so sad, you know ... She was so beautiful and young … Such a good girl, with no boyfriend or anything. Nobody knew who took her.”
Mom clucked sympathetically, hoping the woman wasn't talking about a close relative.
“She was 16, white as snow and innocent. So sad …,” sighed the woman, shaking her head.
Mom asked gingerly, “Er, did this happen recently?”
“No,” said the woman, looking up at the ceiling to calculate. “It happened in 1881, I think … Or maybe it was 1887.”
As mom gaped open-mouthed, the woman continued, “We think the gypsies took her. She was so white, they probably sold her in Turkey, or Arabia, or India,” she spat out.
Suddenly recalling mom’s ancestry, the woman transitioned into another subject dear to her heart – her grandfather’s second marriage.
Apparently, her grandparents had nine children until her grandmother passed away in childbirth. Grandpa married a local woman who already had a daughter, but the couple never had any children together.
“I have a feeling they never had sex,” the woman declared, oblivious to mom’s eyes popping out of their sockets by now. “Interesting, no? They were both fertile, but they never had any kids. I wish I knew why.”
As the massage drew to a merciful climax, mom, in an effort to be polite, asked the woman whether she had always wanted to be a masseuse.
“I’m doing this for my twin sister,” the woman explained. “She’s dead, but I’m actually using your body to massage her.”
For her next team building, mom will probably opt for the pedicure package.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
An Austrian Touch
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

28 comments:
If mom takes the pedicure package, then what would happen to us deprived of such comical anecdotes? Mom must reconsider and resolve to visit this masseuse at least once every six months. I am sure she has more gems in store for mom...
Lol!! And I thought the Ayurvedic massage I went for sometime back was bad :D
“It happened in 1881, I think … Or maybe it was 1887.”
This is probably still making headline news in Austria
muser, the pedicure package will be picked if the services are administered by Vietnamese women who smile a lot and don't speak any English.
ron, Ayurvedic massage by hefty Keralite women is next on the list.
vijay, have you been to Austria? I haven't, but I think of it as a sleepy place with placid cows grazing on the hillside.
lol, the lady was a chatter!! ..and you get to do this on Company time and expense?! Now am more jealous of you than ever. Wait, jealous is not a good word, let's call it envy ;-)
re Ayurvedic kerala massage - It's synchrony and embarrasment climaxing to a will to never ever get any sort of massage done for a long time. *shudder*
you do lead an interesting life! Glad and grateful for the laughs though.
wow i thought i was a weird magnet but that's something else. never had a chatty masseuse who was using my body to channel her dead sis.
Hey if you go for a pedicure maybe you'll get a guy with a foot fetish and it'll be even more fun!
Arent you glad you know me? That's what i thought.
So basically you got a "Happy Ending" as they say in Masseuse Language for a merciful climax :)
Rads, what’s the deal with Ayurvedic massage? Now you’re scaring me.
Munimma, every once in a while gems like this cross my path that give the impression that my life is super-interesting.
Amrita, a foot fetish might not necessarily be a bad thing. Especially since mom’s been trying to get dad to kiss her feet and worship the ground she walks on.
pilgrim, only the masseuese experienced "release." The clients wanted their money back.
ROTFL! Will grandmom ever get to read this? :D
anantha, grandma is still recovering from the previous post.
LOL!LOL!LOL!
You are not serious! Tell me mom made this all up.
moppet's mom, no! No! No! She swears this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth ...
I think Mom should just stay away from the parlour. She seems to attract weirdos.
What say Terri?
rads:
"lol, the lady was a chatter!! ..and you get to do this on Company time and expense?! Now am more jealous of you than ever. Wait, jealous is not a good word, let's call it envy ;-)"
here, now you can be more jealous, i mean envious :-)
terri:
in a head-to-head gabbing competition, who would win - a barber or a masseuse?
- s.b.
Terri - we haven't heard much about Mom-the terrible wrt to Kuki. Would she qualify by the standards set here?
Of course Mom-the bad girl, who talks about those 'things' *blush* is pretty evident in past couple of posts. ;)
OMG! :) U poor thing to have to endure that ...
Sue, that’s why she’s staying away from Orkut.
s.b., in this case, the masseuse would win. The barbers at Great Clips are the grumpiest and rudest I’ve ever come across.
I’m not sure what the experience would be like with a masseur, though.
Visitor, most of the posts there are anonymous. You never know, mom might already have contributed ;->
ss, it was torture! As they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
This is the first time I'm commenting on your turf. This post was simply howlarious! However, why do I get the feeling Mom wasn't too amused? Maybe nest time, the Vietnamese pedicure lady will tell her future based on the shape of her toenails! Looking forward to the pedicure prophecies... keep us posted! :P
mystic, thank you for delurking. I love your moniker; it reminds me of a bar called Salty Senorita.
sb - gee thanks! I wish such "moons" existed a few years ago. Those packages are quite tempting.... *hmm..
terri - there's a massage post brewing in my head, hopefully after that you'd be able to make a better decision :)
I thought massages were supposed to be carried out in silence...
mumbaigirl:
are you blaming mom for sighing? ;-)
rads:
check out this thread that we have going at "december stud"'s. might be (just a little bit) germane to current discussion here.
- s.b.
NOT FAIR ! Your job involves getting a massage? I want THAT Job !!! No, not really. I am happy with MY job, but I want the massage bit from yours !! I don't mind talkative masseuse. I have special invisible earflaps that I can shut my ears with :)
"but I’m actually using your body to massage her"
ROFL! I laughing so hard I am all tearing up!
Be glad that she spared you all the Argentinian rituals to invite her spirit into your body.. er may be you are still carrying her spirit in your body :P
I have been lurking by your blog for the past week and boy! Am I glad my boss is away. ROTL. I thought I was the only weirdo magnet....it feels good to know there are more people like me out there...
:-)
hahaha..this was hilarious! contrary to you, i didn't want this to end!
anamika, merci b'coup. I greatly enjoyed your post on île Maurice.
jay, you only come out to play when the boss is away?
tdna, if I had spent some more time with her, I'm sure that would have happened.
lakshmi, I might need to borrow those ear flaps for the next lecture I receive from grandma.
mg, so far I haven’t met a single masseuse who doesn’t feel obligated to make small talk.
rads, I'm tapping my fingers. Where is the massage post?
Post a Comment