Monday, July 16, 2007

Na Maangoo Sona Chaandi

Not that anybody's asked, but if one really wanted to know what mom would like for a birthday or an anniversary, it would be to linger over a giant banana split with dad at a local ice creamery and languidly watch the world go by.

Nothing more.

Dad has already given her everything else she ever wanted.

------------------------------------------------------

Title modified by popular request.

28 comments:

The Visitor said...

So when is mom's b'day / anniversary, Terri?

Terri the terrific said...

Soon, visitor.

rads said...

aww. such a lovely aw statement. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww...
Happy birthday in advance.
Hope you get all the banana splits and none of the calories.

noon said...

What Ter - what's happened to mom - getting soft on daddy - he has given everything she wants n all - we like her making fun of him not being so nice to him! ;)
Happy anniv to mom n dad! And a very happy birthday to mom - she is an amazing writer - compliment for her b'day! Pass it on! :)

Anonymous said...

I hereby grant Mom her wish to linger over a giant banana split with dad at a local ice creamery and languidly watch the world go by.
on the occassion of her Anniversary and Birthday.

Have a great day, Mom and Dad.

PP, Brownie and the slaves.

Anonymous said...

Ahem, sounds like Dad already took Mom out for a banana split at the local ice creamery :D

Anonymous said...

terri:

congratulations to mom and dad.

for now,

arranged marriage 1, love marriage 0

- s.b.

p.s.: waitaminute now, wasn't there a recent laundry list of missing items that mom still wanted from dad? or was i hallucinating? or maybe mom 'republicized' the list after publicizing it, eh? ;-)

Neha said...

awwwww!

Terri the terrific said...

neha, welcome. Somehow I didn't think of Croatia as a desi hot spot. It sounds a lot more exotic than London and Paris.

s.b., what list? Although I'm afraid to challenge you because you know my archives better than I do.

amrita, I wish. Dad is somewhat indifferent toward ice cream. Yes, people like that do exist!

pp and family, thanks. So sweet of you. They make ice cream for dogs in the U.S. called "Frosty Paws." I'll think of you when I get some the next time.

noon, put it down to advancing age or post-coital bliss - whichever you prefer.

broom, thanks, the last part is extremely important.

rads, who is the awwww for? For dad on his loving, dutiful wife or for mom who believes in equally splitting calories?

Anonymous said...

terri:

laundry lists are supposed to change over time. to the best of my knowledge, mom is not going after public office. so, unlike politicians*, she can change her laundry list as and when she feels.

the important thing is what the list says right now - and if she says the list is currently blank, so it is! more power to dad ...

- s.b.

*politicians: creatures who are supposed to have a rigid set of principles. for example, neither bill (who never inhaled), nor kerry (who voted for and against, and was too scared to present his reasoning) nor hillary (hello irag!) were man (or woman :-) enough to acknowledge that their thinking could have changed over time.

dev said...

wow..!! perfect gift..!

upsilamba said...

terri,

mein hindi nahi samchthi hoon. A lil bit, but you see where I am coming from.

So when I read the title,
mangoo was Mango, Sona was of course gold and chandi was underwear. In mallu, chandi also means buttocks.

rads said...

terri - rads, who is the awwww for? For dad on his loving, dutiful wife or for mom who believes in equally splitting calories?

For mom who can love and be so content. You make me jealous :-)

I'd even linked u as a 'sweet read of the day' ;-)

A Muser said...

Me, I'm a hot fudge sundae kinda gal... Hope dad isn't like my husband, Terri, who claims he's just going to have "one bite" because he isn't an ice cream lover, then ends up having most of the good stuff (read dark chocolate fudge and nuts).

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday for the 28th!
Happy anniversary too. Was the wish granted?

Anonymous said...

nice nice..only if i were such a satisfied person. life would be so much more simpler! Happy Ann...dear mom!

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., you left out pratibhatai from the list of eminent politicians.

Dev, thank you.

Upsi, kshamikkanam. I actually like your version of the mango and the buttocks. It’s giving me ideas, and I haven’t even completed my morning puja yet.

Rads, thanks for the link. I noticed.

muser, I didn’t say life is fair. Dad eats most of the ice cream protesting all the while that he doesn’t really want any, so one should stop forcing him.

Mg, you too. Anniv. is far away, but thought I’d plug now itself.

alpha, thank you. Normal dad-bashing will resume soon.

Anonymous said...

Terri, why only on birthdays and anniversaries? With that kind of satisfaction, everyday is celebration time.
Congratulations.

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, mom's not asking for much. Even once a year is a cause for celebration.

Anonymous said...

I have many questions, but I'll suppress them for now, and say Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

ano

the mad momma said...

well here's wishes for all the big days since mom is being secretive and not sharing dates!

Anonymous said...

upsi:

"mein hindi nahi samchthi hoon. A lil bit, but you see where I am coming from."

not to worry - terri ain't the poster child for hindi gyaan (jnaan) either, not with words like 'mangoo'! btw, i know where the missing 'n's are - here is a quote from greatbong as a clue:

“Abh mujhe raat din tera hi khayal hain, kya kahoon pyar main deewanon jaise haal hain” (emphases mine).

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

A, thanks. You know how to reach me.

mad momma, what?!! Let out dates? And forgo the pleasure of watching dad squirm uncomfortably because he forgot again?!!

s.b., I want you to know that I spent a total of 52 seconds agonizing over the placement of ‘n’s in the title. But I bowed to Google hits finally.
By the way, any special reason you’re quoting me a love couplet?

Anonymous said...

terri:

do you mean dad actually reads this blog now?!!

i have two answers to your question, take your pick!

answer 1: if you consider the original context of the quote, you will smack your forehead and go "aaiyyo!" ;-)

alternative answer: because i found it in greatbong's latest n-laden post (your post is comparatively "bin-n", if i may say so)!

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., you can't compare greatbong with wannabes like me. You can compare him with stalwarts like alpha instead.
(Was wondering if your anniversary's approaching since you're quoting love poetry.)

Anonymous said...

"Title modified by popular request."

what was the change? i missed it.

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

Phonetic change to keep real-life (and maybe virtual) friends happy.