You have to either be very foolish or very brave to ignore a heat advisory in August and venture out in the middle of the afternoon to watch a ballgame.
And since my humans have never been accused of bravery, they loaded the kids and grandpa into the car and set off in 114-degree weather to make good use of the two free tickets that the kids had earned through the summer reading program at the local library.
Mom’s gracious presence at a sporting event had more to do with maternal affection than a love for the game, and she spent her time scanning the crowd at the indoor ballpark, gawking at plunging necklines and gravity-defying boob tubes, to pay any real attention to the activities on the field.
“What happened?” she’d half-heartedly ask Anu every time the crowd leapt to its feet and cheered wildly.
Anticipating a most monotonous afternoon, mom had carted a book along to read to stay awake. Therefore, it was somewhat of a pleasant surprise when she found herself seated directly behind an amorous teenage couple who seemed most determined to score a home run before the game ended.
Flanked by the girl’s parents, a pimply-faced boy and his uninhibited date rammed their tongues down each other's throats with wanton disregard for the staid desi family seated behind them, pausing only to come up for air and to gaze fondly into each other’s eyes.
Confronted by such an unexpected exhibition of ardor, mom had no choice but to arm herself with a large order of fries and a milk shake and to sit back and enjoy the precocious performance.
For the next four hours, mom alternated her attention between the couple and the rest of the peanut-shucking crowd, stopping only to check if the free show playing right under his nose might somehow inspire dad to display some form of public affection for his own wife.
As it turned out, she needn't have bothered.
Dad made no attempt to even step up to the plate.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Spectator Sport
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

27 comments:
haha, don't we all terri? :)
aw, cute! :)
my earlier comment was for the line "As it turned out, she needn't have bothered."
rads, I'm confused. Do your sympathies lie with mom or dad?
Men are so predictable!!
out of pure ignorance, does dad read the dogs blog on mom's thoughts?
The dog knows mom wants PDA! But does the dad know it?
:)
sm, surely this doesn't happen to you! Mom's case is unique.
sn, I strongly doubt dad frequents these parts.
LOL ....
"but to arm herself with a large order of fries and a milk shake and to sit back and enjoy the precocious performance."
I would say maybe the 115 deg temperature was to be blamed for Dad not stepping up! It was hot and probably mom was hotter than that! So Dad was staying cool to avoid getting burnt up!
Or maybe dad was also busy gawking at the same things Mom was - namely, "plunging necklines and gravity-defying boob tubes and amorous couples"
Have you thought about an outdoor game in the winter? Maybe he will cuddle up at least to get the heat. :D
Psst : HP is out :)
Definitely with mom Terri. Am one, I know the feeling.
I seriously don't get why husbands shy from PDA. hmm...
Is it the title?
Heheeheh! If I were your mom, Terri, I'd give up lost causes. And no, Rads, I don't think it's just husbands who shy from PDA. I dated my spouse for 4 years before marriage, and nary a PDA occurred. :)
a muser - the fact that PDA deficiency is Y-gene dependant is encouraging. Maybe we could conspire some transplants and such, and there would be hope after all!
How sad. Can I write to dad to ask him to frequent these parts?
Rads, I think there’s no excuse for men living outside India to shy away from PDA. Although, at this point, mom will settle for plain old DA anytime, any place.
Pilgrim, I can tell whose side you’re really on :)
Muser, no! And here I thought the grass looked greener on the side of love matches.
Mg, we console ourselves by saying that the man simply has different interests.
PDA is for teens. Dad probably wants to talk eye to eye rather than mouth to mouth.
:D
anantha, we're merely talking about hand to hand for now. Other body parts can come in later.
And dad talking? You must be at the wrong blog.
Mom should thank God that Dad didn't decide to get up and move to another place in a fit of prudishness; atleast mom had a nice time. :)
They have neither PDAs and spectator sports in India. *sigh*
One would have to roam the Marina beach or Cubbon Park and keep walking to and fro pretending to have a walk if one wants to see any PDA. :(
visitor, ironic, eh? People with no privacy in India have to make out on the sly. A few people with unlimited freedom here have no interest in making out.
heh... free entertainment doubled! :D
Terri,
I hope you know your loyalties are with Dad and not mom :D You are a guy right! Would you involve in PDA with another female dog in front of an audience :D
Mom needs to buy Daddy Slowtop some paperback romances of the trashy variety so he can brush up on the finer points of illicit nooky!
Seriously, buy him some Linda Howard. The early ones. He'll get the message :D
terri:
let me know when mom and dad are on their next stroll (or not) in the (ball)park. i'll sick tdna (and pal) on them!
- s.b.
Shyam, that’s my favorite word – FREE!
Pilgrim, you have it all backwards. Because I’m male, my loyalties lie with the fairer sex.
Amrita, I’ve never heard of Linda Howard. I’ve got to read her first, especially since dad is still living in the Barbara Cartland era of romance.
s.b., the last thing mom needs is to be groped in public by some guy with dishonorable intentions … Unless the guy happens to be dad.
Terri, it is even more romantic when dad shies away from PDA and mom pines for him... at least for us.
And PDA in Chennai? There is a place called children's park (a.k.a. Guindy park) right next door to where we live. The place (despite its name) must be certified as PG or something ! It is so icky that if dad happens to visit it, he might shun any kind of DA forever in life !
lakshmi, I thought couples in Chennai made out only in Spencer / Spencer's Plaza. At least that's what it seemed like the last time we visited. And, boy, those couples aren't shy!
terri -
guindy park is for non-yuppies as Spencer's is for yuppies. My 2 cents :)
Ah, Babs Cartwheel! I have to get her out of the library soon for a bit of a refresher course. Linda Howard, the middle period, was very good. The whole al fresco angle made me think of this one particular book: After the Night
Couldnt be better plane fare. Enjoy!
rads, no wonder I've never been to Guindy Park :)
amrita, sounds like good carpool fare. Thanks.
Post a Comment