The veterinarian running his fingers through my coat straightened up and cleared his throat.
“Ahem, let’s see now, it could be one of a few possibilities,” he said, fingering the bulbous mass on my leg that I had licked until bloody.
Mom’s heart sank to her stomach as she listened to him list medical terms the average person can neither spell nor pronounce. The prognosis sounded grim, especially since the only word she understood was “carcinoma.”
“I recommend immediate lumpectomy," continued the doctor, pushing his glasses up his nose. “Here’s the estimate,” he said, handing mom an itemized list as long as her grocery receipt before a party.
“Is Terri going to die?” asked Anu quietly, as we walked to the car.
“Where’s Terri going?” asked his curious sister. “Can we go with him?”
The 'immediate' surgery recommended by the vet was scheduled three weeks later when there was an opening in his busy calendar.
Meanwhile, bracing herself for the worst, mom treated me the way a first-born should be treated before younger siblings usurp his rightful place in the household.
Lots of cuddling, followed by teary talks, unhurried walks, treats and even the occasional ice cream followed.
“Here, kiss Terri,” mom would encourage dad, as soon as he returned home from work each day. Needless to say, she had to pucker up and lavish dad’s share of kisses on me so I wouldn’t take the rejection personally.
Now I know why they call this an Elizabethan collar
Post-op:
I’m happy to report that grandma’s prayers to the Hindu pantheon worked. The magic word, “benign” was left on our answering machine this morning.
Relieved, mom called to thank the vet and discuss the results of the biopsy, but he had already left on vacation.
I hope he’s enjoying himself. After all, we funded part of his trip.

16 comments:
Whoa, Terri, you gave everyone a bit of a scare! Good to hear you're all better now.
My god - those kind eyes!
Ter - glad you are doing ok!
Benign - goodness - really such a magic word to hear in such moments!
omg, thank goodness.
Hi Terri,
came to ask if I could use your cosy turf to talk to Lakhsmi, but am rather disturbed by what I see and hear. am a silent friend and admirer. our prayers and best wishes.
Lakshmi: I spoke to you in my first post, believing in a sort of agentless, direct communication. Seems we haven't reached there yet; so here I am to inform and invite.
Terri: wld love to invite you and your family & friends too, only I am myself seldom there. most welcome to an empty house!
big hug and kiss to very brave terri!
Thank you, all. We had a few tense moments, but I'm back to my old self - and that involves jumping on people, drinking from the toilet and acting like a two-year-old.
aw, am so glad all's well. Love that look :)
btw, I can't help looking at the nice terracotta tiled floor. Nice! *please don't call me vain :( *
Terri, Take care of yourself. Mom's happiness AND this blog (meaning, our general well-being) depends a lot on you :)
Bystander, I am a little lost here (is it me that you are talking to?). Your blogger acct does not seem to have any blog entry. Maybe we should chat at my blog instead of being irrelevant in Terri's space?
Glad all is well! Hugs to Terri!
God, that pic tugs at the heart-strings like nobody's business. You take care, Terri.
ano
terri:
me too! i am glad that all is well!
- s.b.
awww, terri! i am so glad you're ok. that was so scary.
rads, the floor's not tiled. It's concrete that's been acid stained. It doesn't really match my complexion, but the humans love it.
Thank you for the wishes everybody. I had no idea some of you actually stop by. I look sad in the photo only because of my darned collar; things haven't really changed in my world.
Oh Terri, so glad you're better. Lots and lots of kisses.
Glad to know you are fine, Terri.
Sahasranamam Bee?
Homeschooling among desis - Now when did that start?
-S
Oh, I hate scares like that! But hey, if sending your vet to the Bahamas can save you your first born, then I'm all for it!
You know for the longest time I thought that funny collar was a flea collar :D
Post a Comment