skip to main |
skip to sidebar
- Mother is addicted to the Internet no matter what country she’s in.
- Jackfruit actually grows on trees, in people’s backyards, and not in the refrigerated section of the Chinese store.
- Mom does look nicer in Indian clothes and a bindi. But she'd rather die than admit that her parents are right.
- Traveling without seat belts is fun! Jumping from the front seat to the back seat while the car is in motion is more fun, especially when told not to do so.
- If your mother tends to frown when you ask for your second ice cream of the day, wait until the grandparents are within hearing range. They never say no and will usually follow up with a candy bar or two.
- Why do people ask me for my good name? I didn't know I have a bad name.
- Strangers pinch your cheeks as they pass by. Mom hovers worriedly and is downright rude to any man who attempts to make small talk with her children.
- Some people jump up before the plane comes to a complete halt. These people are obviously not traveling with their mothers because I get yelled at when I do the same.
- Airplane toilets stink even if you’re the first person to use them.
- Sweet lime juice is not the same as lemonade. Mom admits it was an honest mistake when she ordered, but I have my doubts after the way she grabbed my glass and drained it in a single gulp.
- Did Chennai ever have sidewalks?
- The word “fair” has nothing to do with honesty, but with the color of your skin.
- Mom wearily wonders when blouse pieces will be outlawed as token gifts in southern Indian households.
18 comments:
I am sure Mom has overlooked this, but blouse pieces are like currency, no?
The blouse piece is probably the only gift that you can re-gift without your name being tarnished as a re-gifter.
anantha, words of wisdom to the bachelors out there: blouse piece equivalent in the U.S. are casseroles from Corning and fruit bowls from Mikasa. Very good for regifting also.
terri:
de"tail"ed comments to follow later.
"Jumping from the front seat to the back seat while the car is in motion is more fun, especially when told not to do so."
they are off springs, are they not? they'd rather jump than not.
- s.b.
lol.. looks like you are having a wonderful visit...
s.b., :) On a related note, why do some cars in India have seat belts only in the front? Makes no sense whatsoever.
vijay, you have to use the past tense. Wonderful visit is over.
ok.. looks like you HAD a wonderful visit...
Most new cars have seat belts in the rear... the older ones had ones in front but were mainly used for shackling prisoners...
terri:
i throw you one right back - why do only airline pilots get to keep guns? especially when they can be as reckless as some drivers!
- s.b.
s.b., ouch! Imagine if the gun went off in the guy's pocket. Surely airline pilots are not as reckless as drivers in India. **Shudder, shudder at Chennai traffic**
Terri,
Shudder shudder at chennai traffic is only for visitors. For people who drive here, it is a lot of fun. Keeps your brain constantly alert and active from the constant anticipation of lorries, buses, SUVs, cars, autos, bikes, scooters, bicycles, pedestrians, cows, sheep, dogs, deer, if you were at IIT, and every conceivable mobile object cut you in front.
I consider my daily sojourn by bike during peak traffic a sort of a meditation. One of these days I am going to attain nirvana on the road.
Pretty much the same list mine come up with too. Except that daughter holds onto trash till she finds a trashcan while son chucks his rt across his shoulder without blinking, right from the 2nd day on.
Talk about adjustments.
No stainless steel kinnems? :--) Glad you're back.
Why do people ask me for my good name?
- That was a hilarious one.
nice post (as always...)
I wonder if this good name thing originated with the Bongs. They ask that in Bengali too. I don't know of any other language that has that usage.
When you do not flinch at how your driver takes to the road and you can throw garbage anywhere, that is when your Indian side has taken over.
(smoking from my ears, nose and mouth)
munimma, what about shub naam?
mirage, thanks and welcome. I'm always surprised when men show an interest in this blog.
rads, want to trade my blouse pieces with your kinnems? I can at least use kinnems for tealights.
Lakshmi, I really don't know how you do it. And to think I complain about driving conditions here, where you don't need to look to your side unless you're changing lanes.
Yeah, forgot that. It has been so long since I heard that used in Hindi.
The post only tells me there are atleast two 'mini-me's of Terri's mom in the world. Ofcourse, I am happy about that.
-Sachita
Great fun, as usual!
I know, I just got two blouse pieces when I was in Cochin for a day. It is the most useless gift ever!!! My mother-in-law has been trying to convince me that I should keep the one her mother gifted me, for sentimental reasons. But I'm ummm.... resisting!
Post a Comment