One suitcase ready and a couple more to go before mom’s long-awaited trip to the homeland.
“Why are you taking so much stuff?” frowns dad, eyeing the lone suitcase that’s been packed so far.
Clearly, he has no idea what a woman needs.
The suitcases are bursting with clothes, but mom is still undecided on what to wear for the rendezvous with Lakshmi and Shoefie.
Butterflies are flitting through her stomach and she’s almost tempted to call it off before the women discover that her online persona is at least six degrees separated from her real self. Add in the question of logistics in an unfamiliar city, and suddenly watching Jodhaa-Akbar for the second time seems less daunting.
“Who are you meeting?” her father will want to know, followed by a game of 20 questions on “when; where; how; why; family name; gothram?” etc.
Consider yourself warned, fair ladies. If nothing else, at least make sure you catch the pearls that purportedly fall whenever mom opens her mouth.

32 comments:
Terri, mom is not alone. Let us just say, someone in Chennai, went shopping (an activity she HATES with all her heart) to buy clothes for the event. One would think she is on a teenage date with her first heartthrob. She is even thinking of keeping the autograph book handy.
Terri, also tell mom that we have two computers at home, hooked on to the internet, so we can always chat from adjacent rooms, if the silence gets too loud.
Oh, and for grandpop, I am willing to wear an Iyengar style madisaar podavai, if it would help.
Lakshmi, not since meeting dad for the first time in a coffee shop has mom felt this nervous. And you're probably already redeemed in grandparents' eyes because of your "I-80" background.
what, no bangalore on the agenda? :(
ano
Is there a live telecast being planned of this faaamous meeting?
I must say the suitcase has all NRI qualities (soft and bulging)...
ano, next time, pucca.
vijay, maybe you and I can have a faaamous meeting if and when I'm in B'lore. Although "meeting-with-a-guy-I-met-online" might not bode so well with the family.
why am i suddenly nervous? when's mom arriving terri?
Ok, blogger doesnt allow green font, but am going very very green with all this talk :(
“Who are you meeting?” her father will want to know, followed by a game of 20 questions on “when; where; how; why; family name; gothram?” etc.
mom should've gone (at least to dad): 'whatever happens in chennai stays in madras'
- s.b.
Are you guys to run-off and get married later on?
Excitement seems similar. May be a proper mood should be created, somebody should play "tujhe dekha to.." ...
-Sachita
sachita:
"Are you guys to run-off and get married later on?"
in this screening of "patni, patni, aur vah," which of the three will be the "vah"? i wonder ...
- s.b.
shoefie, am counting on you to be the kind who can charm even a dim lamppost.
rads, bus tumhari kami hai.
sachita, s.b., the heart palpitations are due to the fact that based on what Lakshmi says, it appears that we both possess the personalities of moru saadam. And the more appropriate song on this occasion would be, “Parde mein rehne do …”
Went through this on my first blind date with a blogger in Kolkata, when I was a mere reader and commenter!
She blogged about it here
http://lalitalarking.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html
Of carnations and chrysanthemums, Dec 18th, 2006
Have a blast, people. Oh to be in Chennai when Terri's mom is there.
Moru saadam indeed. Ha!
Dont worry.. I am sure there are enough fellow bloggers who will join the meeting....I already see a few on this comment thread who are Bengalooru based
dipali, I have now added Kolkata to my map. That's the best part of blogging - like a sailor, I aim to have a girlfriend in every port.
Vijay, safety in numbers, I hear ya.
Really and truly? When when when???
terri's mom/lakshmi/shoefie:
all your wardrobe issues resolved, thanks to terri.
'And the more appropriate song on this occasion would be, “Parde mein rehne do …”'
one opaque parda per person, no more wardrobe malfunction. (sounds like a good ad *ing janet jackson, eh?)
- s.b.
we both possess the personalities of moru saadam.
Don't forget the vadu maanga.
moru sadam with vadu maanga is heaven!
S.B,
Should open up the mind a little more, no?
That was me earlier. Now will stop spamming your comment box.
-Sachita
dipali, sometime in the future. Save some sandesh for me.
s.b., pardah in Madras heat?!! Not even if the wearer is naked underneath.
Lakshmi, sachita, I prefer maaghali or mango thokku with some vadaams on the side. Even better, sitting in a semi-circle around my grandmother with my cousins and cupping my palm to receive a ball of rice while listening to a story which will continue the next day at the next meal.
Terri, mor saadam placed at the center of the palm, you make a kuzhi in it with your fore finger, paati places one thunda maanga, and a drop of vatha kozambu.
gotra? really?
along with rads, I am 'chameleoning' to green.
I so miss paati giving us more saatham pidis with kuzhis for kozhambu. And I hear mavadu/mambazham season is around the corner, waiting for you.
Muni: We can go deep dark green turning to brown just about now. Terri has landed and Lakshmi won't talk anymore coz she's barely able to type.
*sigh
I was suggesting a live webcast of their meeting. Hope it works.
Have a great trip Mom...
Terri your blog is fantastic.
Cheers!
Don't mean to spam.. but..
http://lakshmi.vox.com/library/post/todays-lessons.html
lakshmi:
you're leaving a poor example of spam. here, let me show you how it should be done correctly (in true thomson and thompson fashion)!
mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum! mumstheword, to be precise, thewordsmum!
- s.b.
p.s.: i hope this passes through the blog's filters!!
terri:
why the blog name/title change?
- s.b.
s.b., you no like?
Well said.
Post a Comment