Friday, May 02, 2008

Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi

It was on her fifteenth birthday that Elizabeth first met Rhys Williams. … Rhys got permission from the headmistress to take Elizabeth out to dinner. They got into Rhys’s car and started heading toward the airport.
Neuchâtel is the other way,” Elizabeth said.
Rhys looked at her and asked innocently, “Who said we were going to Neuchâtel?”
“Where are we going?”
“Maxim’s …”
They flew to Paris in a private jet, and had a superb dinner.
-- Bloodline, Sidney Sheldon

Mom was around 14 years old when she clandestinely read Sidney Sheldon in bad light in her older cousin’s room.

For some reason, the above passage stayed with her over the years as the epitome of romance. Nothing else about the book was worth recalling, until the day dad casually asked, “Want to go out to brunch?”

“Not to Udupi again!” groaned mom. “If you want dosa, I can make it at home. I don’t understand why you like going there.”

“Actually,” said dad, “I was thinking we could fly out to Sedona for brunch.”

Mom’s clutched her heart and stared at dad open-mouthed.

“We can eat at the airport and be back in about three hours,” he said.

Refraining from asking, “How much is this brunch going to cost?” and killing even the slightest hint of romance, mom silently dressed the kids, and the family drove to the airport one morning to fly a 100 miles away for orange juice and croissants.

Hmm, this plane is smaller than our car,” thought mom, as she buckled the children into the back seat. She watched dad fiddle with the instruments and noted the beads of sweat running down his neck prior to takeoff. As the airplane soared into a cloudless sky, mom tried to recall long-forgotten verses from the Hanuman Chalisa.

“We should’ve brought Terri along,” she muttered, anxious to leave no loose ends on terra firma.

The humans got a Google Earth glimpse of their neighborhood as they flew over it. “See? Our house is the only one without a pool in the backyard,” the children noted.

Less than 10 minutes in the air, the humans encountered their first air pocket. As the single-engine plane bobbed in the wind, mom had a doubt.

“So, if the propeller breaks down for any reason, we’re screwed, right?” she asked dad.

“Yup, pretty much,” he replied calmly.

With that doubt dispelled, and their lives in dad's capable hands, mom and the kids soon found themselves lulled to sleep for the next hour by the drone of the engine and the warm sun beating down on them.

Midway through a dream involving a faceless Rhys Williams and Top Gun Tom Cruise, mom awoke with a start to find that Kuki had thrown up in the backseat.

“I don’t feel so good,” the child exclaimed, as mom wiped the vomit with her shirt.

“Me neither,” thought mom, who was now left wearing a tank top that showed off her flab and her bra straps.

Landing shortly thereafter, the humans relaxed at the airport café, soaking in the glorious weather and scarfing down French fries. With their cell phones out of service and no television for distraction, mom’s reverie was interrupted only by the tinkle of tableware and the sound of people chattering.

“If we weren’t moving to India, we should move here,” she thought, amazed as always by the quiet calm of her surroundings, the politeness of the locals and the cleanliness around her.

An hour or two later, dad revved up the engine, and the humans soared toward the sun to return to their life of weekend laundry, Wii and television.

8,500 feet above sea level, mom looked at dad in the pilot’s seat and idly wondered what it would be like to fly to Paris for dinner someday.

Considering what it would cost, Maxim’s better have a substantial vegetarian menu.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

orey the conpusion only about where you are located, terri.

Atleast once you move back to india, could you please tell? Atleast some puzzles of life need to be answered.

-Sachita

noon said...

Wow! What a life!
I give it to Dad for his spontaneity! And coolness ;)I mean - it's not let's fly to Sedona as in have some other person fly us there...he is flying it himself!

Terri the terrific said...

Sachita, I think I just let the whole world know where I live.

noon, did you see a spark of romance anywhere? Let me know.

Anonymous said...

And then mom complains about dad not being romantic. Hrmpf!! This was right up there with the best of them romantic gestures, ooooh !!

Anonymous said...

anon:

you're right! three times over.

smack mom on behalf of us readers please, terri!

- s.b.

Squiggles Mom said...

WOW. That is so cool! The only flying-a-plane DD does is on the computer! Mom sure has it good :)

Terri the terrific said...

squiggles mom, dad started off that way too. I didn't think that Flight Simulator game would lead anywhere.

s.b., anon, you forget the kids were also a part of this romantic gesture. Oh, wait, mom wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Anonymous said...

terri (or mom):

any good pictures of sedona from the air? those rock formations and colours are awesome (gotta confess that i've not been to bryce canyon or zion).

why didn't you guy fly over the canyon? a short detour wonly, no?

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

sachita:

where are you located? if you are in usa, shame on you ;-).

and wherever you are based, you can search google maps. terri has named a place and mentioned how far from it he lives.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

s.b,
Unfair, I did that and that's why it shocked me. For some reason, what with the Bhima's reference and various other highway references, I was completely off the mark...

Terri,
No, I am not stalking you.

-Sachita

Terri the terrific said...

sachita, if you ask nicely, s.b. might send you my home address and telephone number also. Maybe I should go underground now.

s.b., no photos worth posting from mom's camera. Dad's our resident photographer, and he was occupied.

dipali said...

WOW as in largest font possible WOW!
Real people do such wonderful things? I guess so- the kid puking is a reality check. I'm repeating myself, I know, but multiple WOWs.
And a bow wow to you, Terri!

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, maine kya kiya? It's the humans who are trying to live a life of no regrets.

dipali said...

terri, tum ne itne pyaar se narrate kiya- uska bow wow hai!

Anonymous said...

So, Terri, dad IS a romantic after all.
Tell mom that next time I meet her back home, I am going to smack her with a comb for all her complaints of dad being unromantic.

Terri the terrific said...

L, but can he look deep into mom's eyes and recite poetry?

Anonymous said...

l:

if terri is too geriatric to do so, you and hairbrush would do. :-)

terri:

"L, but can he look deep into mom's eyes and recite poetry?"

do mom's eyes well up with poetry when dad looks deep into her eyes? is that a rhetorical question? or a hypothetical question? or both?

sachita:

what bhima? now i am lost!

peoples, don't listen to terri. that family appears to have even stopped visiting my www.home! i don't have his address and/or phone number. so, even waterboarding me won't help you get it.

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Okay, totally OTT but that's my second favorite Sidney Sheldon novel and I read it in exactly the same way - except I was a bit younger. I havent read it in years but I read that first line and I immediately recognized it. I have to read it again now.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., when dad looks at mom, she usually blushes and looks away. Besides, I think prose is more her department.

ams, that's not off topic. I'm glad somebody else has memories of Bloodline. Sidney S. sure broadened my adult vocabulary from that summer on. What he left adhura, Jackie Collins completed.

Indian Food Rocks said...

No swimming pool but you've got an airplane?!

Terri, your humans are very brave to fly in that teeny thing.

Terri the terrific said...

manisha, rental, baba! Please don't plant ideas in dad's head. Mom can neither swim not fly.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it won't be a bad idea to buy a plane and bring it with you when you relocate to India. With the traffic on road here, you would probably set a precedence-of-sorts for unconventional mode of transportation.
PS: And I can hitch a ride (flight?) now and then by virtue of being a sincere and consistent fan of Terri's tails and turf.

Anonymous said...

lakshmi:

my suggestion is better. how about terri's mom telecommutes to her current/recent job? i understand many rnri spouses dp it...

- s.b.

Anonymous said...

Terri's mom - way cool. BTW, what flab are you talking about? There is none to be seen:)

anantha said...

Sachita, I think I just let the whole world know where I live.

Curiosity got the better of me, five minutes after i saw the post on my feed reader. Luckily I haven't been in those parts yet, and so you are spared complaints about how I missed inviting myself to dinner with you and mom and dad and Anu and Kuki!.

Also I have to agree with anon's triple comment there. Dad's so not RC!. And I wish to add that poetry is so over rated. Prose is king!

anantha said...

Btw, about Sidney Sheldon, I was 14 when I read my first too. If you google for "Pavid Pavilion", you will know instantly that the faux Sheldon has since become the "Book that I wished I had never started"! Probably the first and last time since I puked after the book. And till then, I used to read with wonder, the accounts picnics over strawberries and cream at Wimbledon each summer. But for quite a few years later, the mention of strawberries and cream only made me retch!

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, I think I'll stay away from PP. But I am curious how strawberries and cream can make one retch.
You should visit these parts when greenery starts to hurt your eyes. Only a very special reason would make me move from here.

sands, ab flab is best kept under wraps.

s.b., if only employers felt the same about telecommuting.

lakshmi, now you tell me, after I'm paying through my nose for one-way tickets to India!

anantha said...

Terri: Well, I was a late bloomer and the "Real S**" series on HBO was still a decade away. So at class VIII, food and certain parts of the body in combination made me retch. So strawberries and cream at Wimbledon automatically lost its allure.

the mad momma said...

you're doing this just to make us random mortals with unromantic, common lives feel really jealous, right?!

wow, wow, wow.

Terri the terrific said...

anantha-better-late-than-never-bloomer, I hope you've realized the true worth of strawberries and cream by now.

mm, what would you call a man who bypasses traditional gestures of romance like chocolates, teddy bears, cards, jewelry, hand holding, back rubbing, red roses, etc.? Instead, he wipes baby bottoms without complaint, cooks when asked to, never belittles his wife in public, lets her do whatever she wants to, never questions her purchases made with his money, and even agrees to move to India on her whim. Darn! What was I trying to say? I've lost my train of thought now ....

anantha said...

Oh btw, in case you did not know, Pavid Pavillion and Catoplus Terror were two books that were apparently not written by Sidney Sheldon but someone printed them in his name.

Anonymous said...

Terri's mama, you just described my husband there. And here I thought that he was the only man who'd completely missed attending Romance 101 in his teens or whenever it is that young men learn about such important things.

Your plane ride sure must've been an awesome way to send yourselves off to India.

Terri the terrific said...

anantha, no wonder I haven't heard of them. Sheldon would probably handle strawberries and cream the way they really should be handled.

deepa, let's ask single guy Anantha when young men learn about romance. Most of the desi men I see around me seem to have flunked the course.

Anonymous said...

terri/deepa:

v.b. envies you both - i can guarantee that.

as to single guys learning romance, looks like sidney sheldon is the guru, eh? ;-)

anantha:

don't tell me a certain indonesian cat will make you give up quaaffee!

- s.b.

Terri the terrific said...

s.b., it's never too late. You can still pass Romance 101 with flying colors. Just ask the missus how.

the mad momma said...

what are you trying to do? get me to divorce him?!

you're not helping at all!!!

Atharva Johri said...

Hi.
I enjoy reading sheldon, n i am curious to get these two mentioned books in some way.
The Catoplus Terror
The Pavid Pavilion

I shall be extremely grateful if you show from where i can get the pdfs, or the books from the net (download/buy).