Friday, May 23, 2008

Madras Mottai

I haven’t crossed the Atlantic yet, but in anticipation of my yaatra, mom decided that it’s never too early to start the purification process to convert me into a good Brahmin boy.

A few days ago I was dispatched to the local pet store where a fine young lady divested me of my thick winter coat. I hear I won’t need it for the rest of my life.

“You look like a country dog, Terri,” said mom, kissing me on the tip of my nose. My stubble reminds her of her grandfather's 5 p.m. shadow, and mom wonders for a moment if her thatha came back to her as a cherished pet.

I sigh deeply as she runs her hand over the golf ball-sized fat tumors in my body (a byproduct of aging). Mom hopes against hope the tumors will quietly dissolve without the need of medical intervention.

“You should think about starting Terri on arthritis medication,” advised the vet last week as she felt my stiff joints and noticed my limp.

For now, mom’s immediate worry is that I make it to India safe and sound. In between working and chauffeuring the family around in one car, she’s been trying to get my paperwork ready. A pet relocation company offered to help my humans for $5,900, but mom would rather kill herself driving from pillar to post in 100 degree weather than part with a sum higher than the entire family’s plane tickets.

“I hope you’ll be happy over there, Terr,” she whispers in my ear, thankful that India’s lax laws do not require imported pets to be quarantined. I softly lick her hand and want to let her know that there’s only one way to find out. Right?

See you all from the other side of the pond.

17 comments:

Maggie said...

All the best, Terri and family!

Terri the terrific said...

maggie, all the best to you two. Four, if I count all of you.

Anonymous said...

terri:

this post answers one of my unasked questions. i recently read (within the last week) how the american landscape has allegedly been forever transformed by folks who smuggled in 'foreign soil,' resulting in bugs that are indestructible (my translation, of course!).

"... thankful that India’s lax laws do not require imported pets to be quarantined."

i wonder how the folks from the orient would say 'free from flies and fleas!' ;-)

- s.b.

dipali said...

Safe journey, Terri and family.
I'm sure you'll be comfortable with your fur during the famous Marghazhi season, when it is pleasantly nippy and all the thathas and babies wear monkey caps.
God bless, and may the move be as non-traumatic as is possible:)

Sujatha Bagal said...

Have been offline for a while. I come here today and this is what I find! Have a great trip and good luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
Pardon me while I go:
"Who's a lovely dog? Who? Who's a sweet dog? Awww"

Ahem, thanks for indulging me. You are a handsome and lucky dog! I'm moving back to Blore but have decided not to take my 2 kitties (long story). But I have found a loving home for them - they just don't know it yet. But, oh the guilt ...
I hope you have a safe trip, buckle in for the culture
shock :-) And all the best to Mom and family. Maybe our paths will cross in des and I'll recognize Mom by her handsome hound (the canine kind, of course ;-)
MassChick

Anonymous said...

Aww my heart goes out to you big guy. You are looking very handsome. Hope everything works out for you and your family. Have a safe trip...

also the issue of becoming a brahmin boy made me think of this, Terri are you a vegeterian? If not I guess you'll just have to console yourself with all the yummy veggie treats in India, hope you get used to it buddy. :)

Good luck Mom and family.

Anonymous said...

Terri, welcome to your ancestral land.
You'll realise that thayir saadam tastes better in this heat than any dog food Cosco could probably stock.
I am counting on you to get over my fear for dogs.

Anonymous said...

http://lakshmi.vox.com/library/post/to-the-sampats.html

Harini Sridharan said...

Hope you had a safe and happy journey back home!

Anonymous said...

aww Terri, am sure you'll be fine. Don't worry!! And mum is right - you do look like a pukka Madras country dog! You'd fit right in - as long as you remember to say "bow bow" instead of "woof woof!"

Anonymous said...

Are you here yet?

Anonymous said...

Good luck T & family

Anonymous said...

Terri, I went to your empty house today, I missed seeing all of you and missed the way you would welcome me with 1 of my footwear in the living room and the other in your kitchen:), had tears in my eyes as I thought about all the memories you and your family have had there while little Adu kept asking me why you guys moved to India. Life in Chennai with thaatha and Paati will be very good! enjoy it! miss you guys a LOT! - Vijaya

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor baby! enjoy the plane trip, Terri. it's a once in a lifetime event! You'll be one up on all the other doggies.

A Muser said...

Terri, here's hoping you and your family get there safe and sound. Once you do get over jet lag, please put down your initial olfactory impressions. We await with bated breath.

Terri the terrific said...

Thank you so much for your wishes, everybody! Bhagwan ne aap sab ki sun li!