I never thought I’d say this, but for once I'm glad dad’s not the kind of man to write love letters and give mom mushy, just-because cards from Hallmark.
As it is, the movers took a good eight hours to pack my humans’ possessions. If dad had written mom lengthy epistles over the years, she would’ve felt obliged to save every bit of paper he had given her, adding to the weight, volume, and more importantly, expense of their international shipment.
Such a farsighted person my mom married! Really, I wonder how other women cope with spouses who wear their heart on their sleeve.
“Make sure you supervise the packers carefully,” instructed grandma over the phone. “Tell them to wrap all fragile items in cloth so nothing breaks on the way.”
“Ma’am, I’ve been doing this for 41 years,” grunted the heavy-set man as mom watched him loosely wrap her kitchen items in white paper and stack them in a cardboard box. “You got insurance, right?” he asked, chewing on a toothpick.
As the three burly movers moved furniture around, long lost items were discovered under the sofas and behind consoles. Tufts of dog hair danced in circles on the floor, happy to be released from their dark corners. Hair clips, pens, marbles and coins fell out of the sectional, and a macaroni necklace caked in dust emerged from behind the television stand.
“Do you wrap the items in plastic?” asked mom, as she surveyed her precious belongings held together with brown paper and duct tape.
“Not for international moves,” explained one of the men. “Because of mildew.”
“But what if water seeps through?” asked mom, worried about her wedding saris that haven’t seen the light of day in a long time.
“The metal container’s waterproof, ma’am,” he said. “However, if your shipment falls into the ocean …” he trailed off, lifting his shoulders and rolling his eyes heavenward. “You got insurance, right?”
Later that night, dad walked into the house and carefully picked his way through the shapeless objects casting giant shadows on the bare walls.
“We’ve got too much stuff,” he frowned, surveying the cartons on the floor.
“Do we really need all this?” he wondered, conveniently overlooking the fact that 20 of the 25 boxes contained his college textbooks, back issues of National Geographic that he refuses to throw away and other random purchases he makes on amazon.com.
Whatever material objects the humans amassed in the last 12 years were loaded into a trailer the next morning, and mom watched the truck leave with a heavy heart.
“What am I doing?” she thought, not for the first time, as she turned back to an empty house, each room now large enough to conduct Bharatanatyam classes if she were a trained classical dancer.
See that empty corner over there? That’s where her reading chair used to be, the one she curled up in a few nights ago when the house was dark and the dishwasher hummed in the background.
That closet door was where her son had hung his basketball posters, right across from his bed; a bed that mom had hauled from the mall and spent an entire evening assembling.
Over there stood the carrot-colored sectional (she could never make up her mind if it was a red or an orange), and above it hung black and white prints of her children - mementoes all the more special because of the person behind the lens.
How many times had mom stubbed her toe on that wooden console that graced the corridor? Right here is where she had tripped over a Lego block when she was pregnant for the second time.
“When will we see our stuff again?” ask the children plaintively. Raised differently from their parents, they are unused to spending time without a television or a video console.
“You can play with your toys as soon as we find a home,” says mom reassuringly.
In the meantime, the bare walls echo her footsteps as she wanders through the house like Rekha in the last scene of Umrao Jaan - tears welling in her eyes and a thousand memories rising unbidden to her heart.
Friday, May 16, 2008
Mera Kuch Saamaan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

31 comments:
Hi
Been reading ur blog for a while now .. but somehow this post makes me want to delurk ...
very beautifully written.... I can imagine what it is to stay in a place u have been for 12 yrs where every corner is painstakingly assembled and holds memories.. :)
When are u guys moving to India?
-ag
Thanks, ag. It's no fun to live in an empty house. This might well be my last post from this side of the world.
Delurking for first time..Good Luck on the move...hope you have a safe trip to Chennai...
Do update us after settling
-Lalitha
Hi Terri,
Oh, that feels so sad. Moving has always been heart wrenching for me. Thank God for all the moving related work that is keeping your mind off the nostalgia. We will be moving just 5 miles north this summer and I can't bear to look at our backyard where the children pretty much grew up. So hang in there during the unsettling times, until you make your new home.
Good luck with the move and finding a nice home in Chennai.
We will miss you, so do pick up your writing at your earliest convenience.
Anbudan,
SS
at least you'll see your possessions in what.... 3 months? i havent seen mine in 3 years! we have one life in storage there, one life breathing here ;-)
welcome to the joys of nomadic life.
a
wow! you've lived in one house for 12 years, and ara claims you as 'co-nomads'! the max i've lived in one house/quarters is six years, and that was nearly three decades ago! heck, i'm yet to stay in the same city for a decade.
anyway, just wanted to get this comment in so terri and/or mom can read it. i've got a whole lot of questions, but am not up to asking them ... all the best for the move to the family (and especially terri) from v.b. and me.
please keep in touch, one way or (and?) the other!
- s.b.
Hugs terri's mom. I know how it should be leaving a place where you lived for 12 years. House is part of family right. Best wishes for a smooth move. All the best for finding a new house that you could make it to your home. Take care.
-Nandini.
i have done this a couple times (moving) and it doesn't get easier. it's hard as hell to see big empty rooms in your home. good luck with everything! i hope the move goes smoothly and you and your family enjoy life in chennai (right in the middle of summer!)
my husband too refuses to get rid of his national geographic collection. i have finally managed to relegate it to the basement and free up some closet space.
Terri's mom:
I was thinking that you must be packing up after not seeing any posts for a while.
Yes, it definitely feels heavy to leave behind all the memories and the home one has made for oneself for so many years. Technically, it is still your home as you were planning to rent it out. I consoled myself the same way when i had to leave the home in the US where i stepped in as an excited first time home owner and then as a mom carrying my child after my delivery(twice). I was too numb and exhausted from all the hectic activity though to cry when we actually left the house for the airport. One small tip for the last day would be to be packed up with your luggage in the morning and not try to make any food at home that day ( a big mistake i made).
Also, NG is such a magazine that one has a very difficult time throwing away anything. I keep smuggling them back in as husband keeps clearing them to go to the old magazine bin. :-).
Best wishes for the move and for settling down in Chennai! You can do it!
- Shree
Dear girl, that was heart-breaking. *hug
rads, I know it's just stuff, and people are more important than possessions, but it's still so difficult to let go of the familiar.
Shree, that's a good suggestion. I'll try not to look back and cry when I leave. Don't want to confuse the kids further, since this is supposed to be "an adventure".
global, right in the middle of mango season is how I'm picturing it. I hope jackfruit's in season also.
Thanks, new people Nandini and Lalitha. How come people are delurking on sad posts?
s.b., I'll stay in touch both ways.
a, see? That's an incentive for you to come back.
SS, 5 miles?!! You can pass by your old home everyday! But I get what you mean. Some of the happiest times of my life were when we lived in an apartment 5 miles away as newlyweds.
shree:
you must be unique - based on the (limited) data points i had, only the husbands like ngs. for the wives, they are like veritable "सौतन"s.
btw, i/we resolved the issue by purchasing the cds when they first came out, paying top dollar, i must say - also, as an afterthought, i must confess that only one of those cds ever made it to the insides of a computer!!
terri:
'If dad had written mom lengthy epistles over the years, she would’ve felt obliged to save every bit of paper he had given her, adding to the weight, volume, and more importantly, expense of their international shipment.'
gotta say dad is a smart man. he cannot be convicted when he left no evidence, can he?
'Hair clips, pens, marbles and coins fell out of the sectional, and a macaroni necklace caked in dust emerged from behind the television stand.'
reminds me of the time when kiddo thought that omelettes are made of cheerios (they had designed cheerio "amulets" in class, get it?).
'a bed that mom had hauled from the mall and spent an entire evening assembling.'
v.b. has got your mom beat. she put together an entertainment center together by herself, and took less than an entire evening. ;-)
- s.b.
s.b., my compliments to v.b. I presume she was able to assemble it in record time because you were busy bathing, feeding, reading to the kids, wiping their bottoms, etc., instead of curling up with an NG CD :)
A new home awaits you, new experiences, new memories, new adventures. Still life you know.
How vividly you paint the picture with your words, terri, enough to wellup a reader passing by.
Sachita
I know this is most appropriate for this post, but,
YAY.
Welcome to Chennai.
inappropriate, not appropriate.
*hugs* to mom. I am beginning to get the first glimmer of how this feels. We're hoping to move soon too, though just to a different 'burb from where we are. Good luck with everything! Looking forward to reading how you like life in Chennai, Ter. And yes, the kids...
muser, move before the kids can start verbalizing their emotions.
lakshmi, see you soon :)
sachita, thank you. I'll try not to write any more sad posts.
Hey Terri,
It's an adventure. Yes,and heartbreaking too. The longest we ever stayed anywhere was eleven years- and the hardest to leave, especially with the kids leaving their friends behind. This millenium we've already changed four cities and six houses.
Welcome back to the mother country.
What a beautiful post.. there was a lump in my throat...Safe journey back home!
Dear Terri's Mom,
I've been a regular reader of your blog for more than a year and a half, and this post has made me delurk (I tried delurking once before on seeing Kuki's adorable pictures but blogger didn't let me). This post made me sad for some reason - I know I'll still be reading your posts the same way even after you move to India, the virtual distance will be the same but for some reason, your moving to India makes it feel like you going someplace far away.
I can understand the pangs that come with moving. But the best part, you're moving closer to family and I'm sure you'll set up a beautiful home for your family. Please continue blogging after you settle down. You write beautifully and I hope India provides you with a lot of inspiration. Hugs.
Mamatha
Good Luck, I started reading your blogs few months back and love your style of writing.
It is 11 years for us too and thinking about the move.
Vimala
Wow so you really are leaving! Sorry to say this but the doubting Thomas that I am, I didn't really believe it until now. Feel all sad. Good luck Terri's mum and family
Terri's mom, you hide your emotions well. Could never tell from the way you've carried yourself the past couple of days that I've spent with you. I, for one would have been crying my eyes out:( Look forward to seeing you in a few months in good old Chennai :)
sands, believe me, when I see you and my other friends, I would like to react like your puppy, but hold back :) You better come visit us in Chennai and not give the standard "No time!" BS :)
wa, thanks. I'll wave when we fly over London.
vimala, welcome. If people reading this blog move back to Chennai, can we all start a club?
mamatha, it's the darn title, I tell you. That song's been stuck in my head ever since and making me cry. It's time to go back to happy posts, but only sad ones seem to bring people into the open.
dot, thank you. I'm sending good health wishes your family's way.
dipali, four cities sounds exciting. But you're probably exhausted. Kids and their friends are pretty upset. This is probably their first brush with reality.
s.b: about the NG comment, i have not sampled many families on this aspect - but i have come across a few NG women readers in my general social circles that i don't feel i am unique. Whether they are all NG pack rats is a different question. :-).
I love the magazine for the insightful and well researched articles, the variety and off beat topics they cover and last but not the least the beautiful feel of its pictures!(which everybody knows about).
Yes, CD is a wonderful idea for the back copies and will be useful when kids need information for some school research project (which is my justification for saving the mags although it is a weak one!). Hope this post made you bring out the CD and read some articles! :-).
- Shree
What a lovely looking house. is the reading chair going with you?
Terri,
I have been reading your blog for a while, you write very good. I enjoy it. Please continue writing once you move back also.
Good Luck
Sujatha
Hi Terri
I have been a big fan of your blog and have been reading it for quite sometime now. Somehow never felt the need to delurk. This post however, made me want to reach out and give you a hug!
I know it is difficult but I sincerely hope and wish that you an your family find so much happiness on this side of the globe that the pain fades away!
another delurker - used to love your references to the bay area in your posts as well as your humor. This post made me want to delurk and give you a pat and your mom a cyber hug. hope you find happiness and humor in chennai too. and hope your family's stuff reaches there safely. Have a good trip and let us know how the move went for you and the humans.
-ash
mg, reading chair has left for India, but I will sorely miss my local library. I love it enough to have seriously considered getting a degree in library science.
sujatha, bangalore mom, ash, thanks. I hope to bounce back soon.
Post a Comment