Who would’ve thought working part-time from home would be a lot harder than it sounds?
When mom was first offered the option, she wanted to leap over the desk and kiss her boss. Commuting was slowly sucking the soul out of her body, and she started to resent the people around her.
“Why are there so many cars on the road? Why can’t these people move out of state?” she thought, throwing dirty looks at her fellow drivers.
“Why don’t they leave me alone and let me work from home? I only need a laptop and a phone,” she thought, resentful of starting her day at 5 a.m. while the rest of the family slept until 7.
“Why the heck am I even working?” she thought, resentful of stay-at-home moms who pushed babies in strollers and sipped on Starbucks lattes.
“Why does he never complain?” she thought, resentful of dad’s work ethic, so markedly different from her own.
“Who invented working? Why can’t we all go back to the barter system?” she thought, shaking her fist at the sky.
And now that mom has exactly what she wanted, she finds herself working more than the requisite hours per week.
The lure of the laptop is too strong to resist. “I’ll quickly check my inbox,” she figures on the way to the laundry room with an armful of dirty clothes. Three hours later, she’s still responding to e-mail that could wait another day.
“Amma, I need a snack,” the children ask, as they watch her hunched over a computer.
“In a minute,” she responds, without looking over her shoulder. “Help yourself to some candy.”
When mom worked banker’s hours, she dismissed executives who sent e-mail after 10 p.m. as workaholics with no life. She pictured them sitting in their pajamas in a dark room, their faces lit by the eerie glow of a computer monitor, brows furrowed in concentration as they thought of new ways to create extra work for their minions.
“You leave your BlackBerry behind at work?” a cousin had asked. “How do you check messages then?”
“I’m supposed to check e-mail even when I’m not working?” thought mom. She must have missed that memo.
It's not unusual now to find mom jiggling her computer mouse after the whole house is asleep. The woman who chose to leave work behind at 3:30 p.m. every day now finds herself making up for lost time. All her best-laid plans of shopping when the kids are in school, watching Oprah on television, cleaning out her pantry and packing for the move are on hold.
While the left half of her brain listens to her mother on the telephone, the right half tunes in to the periodic new message dings on her computer.
"Just a couple more projects and a few final e-mails before I log off," thinks mom, ignoring the rumbling in her stomach and crossing her legs under the table.
She can hold her bladder a while longer.

11 comments:
girl, thank you for letting me know how this PT option is for us kinda women! Till now, Ive been feeling guilty and thought I'd play with this move, but now, am literally sold.
Bye bye it is. :|
rads, what?!! You're not the highly disciplined kind that dedicates all your attention to the work in front of you? Do you have one foot in the kitchen, one in the study and one in the laundry room like mom?
But of course, we superwomen can only do so much! ;-)
rads:
thanks! now i get darwin's revolutionary evolutionary theory.
terri (four feet)
terri's mom, aka superwoman (three feet)
terri's dad, aka "he man" and "the master of the universe" (two feet)
- s.b. *runs as fast as he can before he can even hear the swoosh of the flying footwear*
s.b., what the master of mom's universe lacks in feet, he makes up with four eyes.
Hi! I have been reading your blog for a while now...really like the way you write.Am delurking to say I completely agree with this post. I have been working from home after my daughter was born, for the last year, and it really seems like I'm being pulled in 10 directions all at once. Feel soooo good to know that I'm not the only one...Cheers to your move back to India...We are planning to relocate end of the year too and I guess its to the same city as you!
Anuradha
Welcome, Anuradha, it's probably a lot harder with a baby. At least school-going children will be gone most of the day. I think all employers should allow telecommuting and not just pay lip service to "going green." It looks like employees working from home put in longer hours because they're not watching the clock.
Moving to Chennai, eh? Let me know how to find a place to rent without the help of brokers.
Actually my baby goes to daycare part time...as regards renting a place, yeah will pass on any leads :-)seems to be quite a hassle in Chennai now
Terri, I KNOW. *Hugs*. I hope mom continues to work from home even after her relocation so that I could have some company here.
You know Terri, this post kept bothering me, because it sounded very familiar to me. I suddenly realised today that I had written up one about working from home too.
I am beginning to believe mom and I are twins separated at birth, is there a family song that will unite us?
lakshmi:
how about - 'tere mere beach (sic) men, kaisaa hai ye bandhan ...'
- s.b.
p.s.: it goes without saying that you need to sing it either at adyar beach or marina beach!
Post a Comment