Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Ados Pados

In addition to possessing such myriad talents as gift buyer and wrapper, dog poop picker-upper, newspaper put away-er, toilet roll changer, underwear folder, light/fan/hot water heater off-er, pantry stockist, bed maker, etc., mom can now add another qualification to her considerable kitty – cake tester.

It came to our recent attention that our neighbors own a chocolate store at a mall. Last night, the couple asked if my humans were available to stop by poolside after dinner to test a few cakes that were going to be introduced at the store shortly.

“We’d really appreciate your feedback,” they said. “Hope you don’t mind.”

Mind?!! Hello, does a dog mind a bone? Does a smoker mind cigarettes? Who in their right mind would rather watch television than participate as a cake tester, especially when the chocolate is imported from Belgium?

As soon as the kids fell asleep, mom and dad made their way to the pool and joined select neighbors to sample three different kinds of cake and answer a brief questionnaire describing their preferences.

“Would you be willing to participate in future testing sessions?” the hosts wanted to know.

“I wouldn’t mind,” answered mom.

Mind, my foot!

Sugar, in any form, turns her on. Sugar, combined with flour, butter, eggs and flavoring leave mom positively orgasmic. Throw in the word “Free!” and you have a woman writhing in ecstasy – all this before the product even reaches her mouth.

As the humans walked home with leftover cake slices for the following day, mom thought of all the neighbors she's had so far, from the Konkani aunty who lived next door and made the best fried modaks to the pakkath-aathu maami in Chennai to the frank "We’re-trying-to-have-a-baby-and-I'm-ovulating" neighbor in the U.S.

Mom's thoughts lingered, in particular, on the blond guy who lived along the same row as the ovulating neighbor. The night before we left the country, mom saw a side of him she had never seen before.

The man stood in his driveway with a can of beer, waiting to let his cat in. A light breeze rustled the oleanders bordering our lawns. Soft music wafted through an open garage door. As he stepped out of the shadows, mom drew her breath in sharply.

Clad in a pair of boxer shorts and nothing else, not even slippers, the man stood silhouetted against the night sky. Moonlight bathed his body in a silvery sheen, dancing off his golden hair and the wedding band on his finger. As he moved and stretched his bare torso, the pale light outlined his rippling muscles, highlighting every crease on his washboard stomach.

Despite herself, mom stood transfixed, wondering if she had unknowingly lived next to a male underwear model the last few years.

She never caught his name, but the man will forever be etched in her memory as a David.

13 comments:

Shobha said...

:) at your movie review as always. I prefer the book to the movie though. Jane Austen totally rocks :) If you have the time, watch Sense and Sensibility. The movie is a decent adaptation of the book IMHO.

Sands said...

How fun to be part of cake tasting. Chocolate cakes are even better. Enjoy it girlie :)

Anonymous said...

Neighbors that offer free cakes!! Mom should never move from this house, or let them move!

Veena

Terri the terrific said...

Shobha, I loved S&S. Emma Thompson is glorious, as always, and Kate Winslet's part was written with her in mind.

Sands, Veena, we're rubbing our hands in anticipation for the next cake tasting session. Whenever that is, we're ready! Would love to have neighbors in the upscale farsan business also.

Sachita said...

I am single, why dont I have neighbours who resemble that David, hopefully in their single avatar.
All I get is Punjabi aunties and unceels!

Not fair, just not fair.

Unknown said...

terr, loved it, as always...The last time I saw The David, he had a different draping on/off...

Ron said...

Till very recently I had monstrous children and their even more monstrous parents as neighbours. Currently I have nice peaceful neighbours. But none to match yours. Can I come over? And befriend your cake testing neighbours? More feedback is a good thing right?

Terri the terrific said...

Ron, you mean more f(r)eedback, don't you? ;) Thanks goodness mom wasn't invited to a wine/tea tasting session. She would've refused. The only thing better than a cake tester is an ice cream tester.

gp, this David is a SFW (safe for work). He was found on Google Images with great difficulty.

Sachita, you're obviously living in the wrong neighborhood. But I'm sure some of those Punjabi auntyjis cater khaana, right? BTW, in a classic case of opposites attract, le David's wife was plump and not very blessed in the looks department.

Anonymous said...

I did have an ice-cream outlet owner for neighbour once. They must've been pretty confident about their ware - never once invited us for tasting :(

Terri the terrific said...

inbavalli, not very smart owners. How did they build brand loyalty? I now feel guilty ordering cakes from another store.

dipali said...

What lovely cake feeding neighbours you have.
David looks so decorous in the picture you posted:)

Terri the terrific said...

dipali, there were other revealing pictures of David, but this is all I saw that night and this is where my imagination stops.

Ron said...

About regional movies...try Satyajit Ray's Agontuk ( The Stranger), Arayaner Din Ratri Days and Nights in the Forest) and the two Feluda movies he made: Shonar Kella and Joy Baba Felunath. Feluda was a fictional Bengali detective created by Satyajit Ray, a Bong fish eating yoga doing Sherlock Holmes if you like. Most young Bengali girls have been in love with Feluda at some point. And then one watches the flims and sees Soumitro Chatterjee as Feluda and falls in love once again *swooon*