skip to main |
skip to sidebar
- Hearing “How was your weekend?” on Monday mornings.
If you must know, about all it involved was three loads of laundry and some light cleaning.
- Returning troops who still say “Eye-raq.”
Obviously, the trip wasn’t much of a learning experience, was it?
- People who start telephone conversations with “How are you?” the second time they call you in under five minutes.
- Liberal use of the F-word, unless you’re this funny guy.
- People who interrupt my meal with a request to pass the bread, or the butter, or the salt, or that heavy jug of iced tea.
Good lord, angrezis, just reach over or across as they do in India, won't you?
- Using the standard “I misplaced your number” as an excuse to not keep in touch.
Tsk, tsk, c’mon, you can do better than that.
- Chai tea
Perhaps this is why I was born. Maybe it’s my mission in life to save North Americans from further idiocy by pointing out the redundancy of ordering “tea tea” at a coffee shop.
- Signing off telephone calls with an “I love you” as a substitute for “bye.”
Maybe it’s just my humans, but they usually grunt on the telephone, especially when talking to each other. “I love you” is used only on an as-needed basis.
- Call Waiting
Really, people, I don’t understand you. What could possibly be more important than talking to me?
- Women who unconsciously greet men with a “What’s up?”
Er ... trust me, ladies, you don’t want to know.
37 comments:
"Women who unconsciously greet men with a 'What’s up?'" - lol! for a change y dont u let 'em kno terri?? ;)
LOL.. good ones ..
Heres one that happeens fairly frequently when I call up one of board numbers:
Me: This is Vijay. Can I speak to Mr.X
Board Person: From Where are you calling?
Me (usually): I am calling from my Phone and I am sitting on a chair.
Board Person: And what is this regarding?
Me: If I wanted to tell you, I wouldn't have asked for the other person !!!
ha, good one..
this one happens to me all the time - "oh we should meet up, its been long, come home anytime"
err - cook some nice south indian grub and call me specifically for lunch/dinner and I will surely be there...
-Vaish
i7, I shall leave that to the others. Ain't my domain ;)
vijay, what are board numbers? Do you mean switchboard operators? And I wonder how you deal with telemarketers, especially those that call around dinner.
Vaish, I agree. Even meeting in a restaurant would do, don't you think?
#2 - that would get me "eye-rate" too, but spare a thought for the troops - their world has suddenly expanded past the atlantic!
#3 - think how you would feel if you were asked peeve #1 twice in five minutes, and thank your lucky stars!
#6 - hey, i do that all the time - misplace numbers i mean, not 'use the excuse.' to use the excuse, i will need to find the number again, don't i?
to be honest with you and your readers, i devised a plan to avoid this issue on a recent india trip - i stowed all numbers online into my e-mail account. little did i know that i would have been far better off using the original excuse, what with power cuts, queues at the internet booths etc etc!
# last one - in case you did not know, the latest wisecrack response to that is 'not my feet'!
- s.b.
Some comments :)
#7: How about:- "You never gave me your number after it changed?"
#8: So saying "I love you" is an annoyance for you?
#9: I know the answer for this one, "talking to humans".
#10: Why don't you let everyone know? So they can stop asking "Whats up?"
s.b., would the size of one's feet have anything to do with #10?
k, hearing "I love you" is an annoyance only when nobody says it to me. Boo-hoo!
oh sorry for the confusion.
i meant that the latest response to the question "what's up?" is "not my feet," as in (i'm not resting my feet up right now). previous wisecracks that i have heard have been 'the ceiling', 'the sky', 'the sun', 'the moon' etc.
i did not mean it as a response to what you wrote!
- s.b.
hey terri,
blog hopped here from madmomma's. Enjoyed this! good lord!, do I get ticked with Eye-raq thing or what ? and of course, "Women who unconsciously greet men with a “What’s up?” is undeniably unforgivable :)
@Terri: I have a special "treat" for Telemarketers who call me on my Mobile. I put them on hold. They disconnect automatically after some time.
s.b., OK, I get it. PJs.
Orchid, thanks for visiting. May I ask why your mind is like an orchid? Is it because it’s unique, exotic, beautiful, complex, adaptable, colorful and somewhat delicate, like the flower?
Vijay, that’s a good idea. It’s better than hanging up on them.
Hi Terri,
interesting pet peeves. So u don't like 'I love u' as a sign off huh? I don't either, unless MIL or nosy maami is within earshot. I like to miff them off u see. And I can't understand what could be more important then talking to u ? Call me, I promise, I'll never make u wait :)
sm, I only have an issue with people using "I love you" in the same breath as "bye." Over here, it's very common to hear people say "I love you, bye" when you're standing in line, at the grocery store, at work, even in the toilet stall where they're busy multitasking.
I tend to like the women that greet me with a 'Whats up?'!! Somehow they just happen to be on the more desirable side of the good girl/bad girl divide! :)
-Manav
Manav, you're back! Girlfriends, please note.
Terri, when my husband was told to "have a nice day" he usually came back with "why should I?".
And when on my first day in the US, when the bus driver asked me "how are you", I took it seriously and told him that I was homesick, and could not figure out the way to open an account in the bank and I was terribly jet lagged. I think he resigned !
It is funny, when people ask you "How are you?" and it seems so courteous, they just want to hear one word- "Fine". If one even starts telling something else,"Good, but ..." and they groan and tell themselves, "why did I even ask that thing?, Just give me a fine and we both will be on our ways. God help me...."
Vagaries of modern life, where we dont have time and yet we want to be courteous.
Didn't realize I would be missed! :) I moved to Mardid a few months back so have been kind of busy. Gotta tell you though that being an Indian has its advantages here cause most local women think i am Spanish... goes a long way in getting a conversation started!
-Manav
ok terri, update us newbies on manav please. looks like he is your fan #1, and vijay and i will have to duke it over #s 2 and 3 now. :-)
- s.b.
No fighting, boys!
All we need are two more candidates and I shall feel like a regular Draupadi.
Anybody else care to step forward? (And because I'm so progressive, Muslims and Christians are also encouraged to apply.)
Do you dare being "modern", Terry? You could add me on to the list !!! :)
lol@your post and a double lol@the comments ;-p
lakshmi, heck! Why not? I'm sure Draupadi was accommodating, if nothing else.
LOL - at the ribbing :D
"I'm sure Draupadi was accommodating" LOL ...
Hmmm.. who's fan #1? I thought I was #1!!!!!!
anantha, you're a godsend! Draupadi ki laaj raakho ... and all that. It would've been so embarrassing if I couldn't cough up five fans. I was almost tempted to stick my tail between my legs and give up blogging.
Manav, please start your own blog to sate all this curiosity.
pilgrim, rads, visitor, kk, sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. kk, are you by any chance young, rich and handsome? I'm not being nosy, just wondering, that's all
Yes, I am rich, handsome and young but let me just say this is based on whom I compare myself to.
Rich: I no longer fall below the poverty line for last 6 months.
Handsome: I look better than Kevin Federline.
Young: Well that I am compared to you. :) (Rubbing the wrong way I guess!)
But, I wonder why are you wondering about it or rather the cause of this curiosity.
kk:
don't forget to throw in this tidbit: while you might not have the voice to match, you are more alive than the real (original) kk! :-)
- s.b.
kk, I'm always morbidly curious about people who stop by. Thanks for your stats.
@s.b: Now I am confused, who is the original KK? Kishen Kumar - I hope not....
@terri: Are you planning on stalking as a new career? :-)
kk:
aahaa! the generation gap strikes (or is it the subcontinental divide?).
kk = kishore kumar, one of the greatest singers that our generation (in india) listened to.
- s.b.
To be honest, this is the first time I have heard Kishore Kumar being referred to as 'KK' and if you would have known me it would have been sacrilege not know who kishore kumar is.
kk:
here you go ...
- s.b.
In keeping with the general slant of the comments, I hereby christen KK as "Kishen Kanhaiya" from now on. OK?
My response in typical hindi movie ishtyle
"yeh sunne ke pahle main mar kyon nahin gaya!"
Traumatised, need to go to a shrink immediately.
Post a Comment