Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Angels & Demons

Usually, mom does her best to stay as far away as possible from exhibition-cum-sales at private homes. She has no intention of buying, and finds it rather embarrassing to look-see and walk away, thus wasting her time and the eager seller’s.

Last weekend, despite her vociferous protests and better judgment, mom allowed herself to be dragged to one such exhibition at an acquaintance's house. She expected to find the usual mishmash of jewelry and saris and sterling silver religious items, but was bowled over by the seller’s artistic abilities. The girl’s a budding designer with an eclectic taste and a keen eye for style. Mom could only stare open-mouthed at the tasteful jewelry she had designed and the clothes she embroiders and sews on her sewing machine.

Not only is the girl highly talented and extremely smart, she’s also very attractive and particularly pleasant. Try as she might, mom couldn’t find anything to hate about her, and jealousy was quickly replaced by admiration.

As she joined her friends and oohed and aahed at the girl’s creations, discreetly eyeing the price tags all the while, mom wrestled with her inner angel and demon, weighing her wants and needs versus the “simplify my life" theory she has recently espoused.

Demon: “Look at that gorgeous maroon sari! It will look so good on you. Go on, touch it, you know you want to.”

Angel: “Do you really need another sari? You barely use the ones you have.”

Demon: “Come on, your friends have seen all your saris. You need a serious wardrobe update, honey.”

Angel: “Think about it. If you buy the sari, you’ll be tempted to buy that gorgeous semi-precious set that matches it. And the next occasion to wear a sari is Diwali, a long way away.”

Demon: “Bah, you can create an occasion! Throw a party and invite all your girlfriends and tell them to dress up. You can show off; they can show off; everybody will be happy!”

Angel: “Aren’t you running late? We should leave now. The children must be getting antsy and you still haven’t made lunch.”

Demon: “Oh, come on! The sari’s calling out to you. Hey, you can get a halter neck blouse to go with it … like Rani Mukherjee’s blouse in that song from Hum Tum.”

Angel: “Right! How are you going to get a halter neck blouse past your parents? They frown at even sleeveless clothes.”

Demon: “Why do you care about what your parents think?!! You guys don’t even live on the same continent, for crying out loud! You really need to grow up.”

Angel: “Be practical. Do you really want to plunk down hard-earned money for a sari and jewelry that will sleep in your closet until the next wedding in the family, whenever that is?”

Demon: “Hey, you can afford it. Go ahead, you deserve it!”

Angel: “Don’t you think you should run this past dad before you decide? I don’t think you can return purchases.”

Demon: “Oh, and what will dad say? No? When does he ever say, ‘No?’ And how can you walk out empty-handed now that you’re here? That would be downright embarrassing.”

Angel: “You should never have come. Think about it, do you really need it or do you want it?”

Demon: “Now, there’s no need to get all philosophical about clothes and jewelry. It’s not a major life decision – it’s just stuff. What’s wrong with wanting pretty things?”

Angel: “All right, I’ve said my piece. But I think you should get only one item. Pick either the sari or the jewelry, not both.”

Demon: “I think you should buy a third item. What about this pretty lehenga? Kuki would look like a doll in it.”

Angel: “Suit yourself, but before you make a final decision, tell me … do you think you’ll make a greater impression on dad when (a.) You’re decked in an exquisite sari and heavy jewelry or (b.) When you’re wearing absolutely nothing, yes, I mean nothing, but a smile?”

Her priorities firmly in place, mom rushed out of the sale empty-handed.

13 comments:

rads said...

oh-oh, you didn't buy after all that nice stuff you saw? Hmm.. very bad shopper you are :p

I'd have come home loaded. Am such a sucker for unique stuff, and also have an inherent phobia for saying'no' :|

Anonymous said...

Mmm.. mom's angel knows how to get her, huh? Smart. Send him/her my way please? My angel could take a hint or two from her..I just bought some "panai vellam" at the local kaadi gramyog bhavan, ignoring the angel who kept trying to tell me that no one at home including myself is going to get that thing anywhere near the mouth. Sigh.

BlackThorn said...

Dan Brown might get J after readin ur post :P

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Couldn't stop smiling as I read the last line.

Terri the terrific said...

rads, the self-control could have had something to do with the hefty price tags.

lakshmi, angels disappear in a cloud of smoke when mom is around edibles. And we've heard of 'vellam', but what is 'panai vellam'?

i7, wait until he finds out mom hasn't even read his book.

pilgrim, thank you! Now if only dad would read it and pat us on the head.

Anonymous said...

Panai vellam is the vellam obtained from palm. Supposed to be colossally good for health etc. And eco-friendly. And humanitarian (you help out some poor panai-thozilali). etc. My ayurveda-geek neighbour tells me that it is loaded with iron and one teaspoon of it/day can keep anemia away for the rest of this life and next, but I am not sure tasting and smelling of rusted iron rods makes panai vellam any appealing !!

upsilamba said...

enna Terri, mom okay vaa?
talking about angels and demons, huh!
Hope Dad don't end up taking mom to a psychic.
Oh well...

Terri the terrific said...

lakshmi, I'm not sure I've smelled rusted iron rods before, but if it smells anything like menstrual blood, I'd stay away from it.

upsi, all wokay. I was only trying to demonstrate the triumph of good over evil.

Anonymous said...

Poor mom !!! I was rooting for her to buy some stuff..

Anonymous said...

I think these 'goody two shoes" angels should be strangled. Grrr..

Her priorities firmly in place, mom rushed out of the sale empty-handed.
And that last statement was not mom's, but that oh so prim and propah angel's..

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Demon should have won!

Terri the terrific said...

Vijay, if mom had really, absolutely wanted the stuff, no one could've stopped her.

visitor, I can tell you're getting annoyed. Do you prefer mom being her old, bitchy self or the new Ms.-so-positive-I-think-I'm-going-to-barf avatar?

mg, if the demon had won, this post would not have been born.

Anonymous said...

Ms.-so-positive-I-think-I'm-going-to-barf avatar
There's nothing wrong in mom being positive, but this angel's view is anything but positive - she's the depths of negative thinking - she asks all wrong questions and expects mom to answer yes or no.
Can't mom have her simple smile in all her finery, which Dad might love even more?
Mom has seen too many Savithri movies in her childhood, where the heroine is that all sacrificing martyr (doormat). ;)

PS: Tell mom not to take my post too seriously - I agree that it is a lot of fun to play the martyr ;) And Dad probably is proud of she being like that.